Online Learning Options for CHS Students

Stevens, Amy M.

Stevens, Amy M.

Maddie Clarke, Staff

Online learning is an option at CHS that not many students know about, offered to those who are incapable of performing everyday school activities, are suspended to the board, or struggle with learning efficiently in public school.

Although many students who are considered disruptive or have violated school rules are sent to Catonsville Alternative, there are exceptions. Students who are suspended to the board can be offered eLearning, a blended and online learning option, to continue the classes they are enrolled in at CHS. Others just don’t enjoy the aspect of public school, or have problems at home that effect their attendance every day.

“The students I work with, typically, they’re not happy coming to school, and they may have bullying issues or have anxiety about being in school. This is an opportunity for them to go to school without discomfort,” stated guidance counselor Todd Pinson.

Starting eLearning is simple, and the Office of eLearning provides you with all the knowledge and materials needed to begin the program. They include an orientation class to teach you all the necessary tips for your start, and they even have “Technology How-To Documents and Videos” posted on their website (elearning.bcps.org) that includes technical support numbers if you need additional help.

“The materials that were given explained a lot more in depth what you really needed to know,” added Aaron Can, a student who is currently enrolled in the eLearning program.

Not only is the eLearning program used for students to be able to take time outside of school to complete their courses, but several other programs are offered. These programs include APEX, which is also provided in-school at CHS, Florida Virtual Learning (https://www.flvs.net/), and Sparc (http://www.sparc-climate.org).

“This program can help people who feel out of touch with others in the community and can also help those who have things more important to do,” Can explained.

For those who cannot deal with the pressure of public school, the pressure of home, or the pressure of multiple obligations, online learning is a great and relieving opportunity.

• Online Learning Options for CHS Students

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Expectations for the Last Jedi

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

The Journey with Braces

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

Spirit Week 2017 Recap