Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Chase Linsenmeyer, Staff

Some students play sports, some do art, or play music, but senior Austin Brick cooks.

His recent project is his pop-up restaurant that he ran through the Black Kettle restaurant on Frederick Road. A pop-up restaurant is a concept where you take over the restaurant and pay the owner to use it for a temporary amount of time.

Brick says “it’s a huge production” and that “up to 50 people are served.” Brick’s pop-up restaurant served 8 courses for $65 with two seatings, one at 5:00 pm and one at 7:30 pm.

Brick started working at the Black Kettle in his junior year as a prep cook. He then became even more interested and asked for more responsibilities in the kitchen.

Brick says he’s doing everything on his own, and that he’s completely self-taught. He picked up on techniques when he worked in the kitchen at the Black Kettle in his junior year. He pays homage to Kevin Vanek who’s style can be found in one of his courses, as well as sous chef Min Kim for whom he has a Korean-inspired course. There will also be a Middle-Eastern dish to represent his family’s Israeli roots.

Brick is trying to take his cooking to the next level and allow the public to taste it.

“I can’t really take responsibility for all the stuff that comes out of [the Black Kettle],” he said in an article by the Baltimore Sun. “I want something that is truly mine.”

It took a lot for this to happen.

“There were a lot of business aspects that we had to figure out,” Brick explained to the Baltimore Sun.

This includes a temporary food service permit from the county health department. He needed to rent the plates, silverware, linens, and glasses to serve the food in. Also Kevin Vanek, owner of the restaurant has a liquor license and handled the liquor sales for the night in order for wine pairings with the food. The pop-up restaurant worked under Vanek’s business license.

Brick plans to attend college at the University of Pittsburgh, then he wants to study business in order to someday own a restaurant. He hopes to master his cooking skills by finding an area restaurant to work at.

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

The Journey with Braces

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

Brick Cooks-up Pop-up Restaurant