Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

Stefana Avara and Marlin Moore

This year’s graduating class is more than ready to take on all college has to offer. After spending four years roaming the familiar halls of CHS, the Class of 2017 is excited and nervous about what their futures will hold.

“I’m so excited to go away to college in August. I can’t wait to meet new people, but I am definitely nervous to be living on my own,” Nate Chambers. Chambers will be attending Wellesley College in the fall.

Although some of this year’s graduates will be staying close to home and attending in-state universities, the CHS senior class will scatter across the United States next year.

“I think going to college is even more nerve-wracking when you’re going as far away as California. If you get homesick you can’t just drive home for the weekend…What if you forget something at home; at least I have my brother,” added Jordan Llorin. Llorin will attend Stanford University with his twin brother Liam next fall. His sister Hannah will be a junior at Stanford, too.

All college freshmen experience first-year nerves. Many students at CHS aren’t as nervous because many of their classmates will be going away with them. Whether you’re 500 miles from home or right down the street, having a familiar face on campus can be comforting.

“College is all about meeting new people. I’m so lucky to have people to travel down to South Carolina with and familiar faces to see on campus throughout the next four years, but I can’t wait to meet a lot of new people as well,” explained senior Molly Miller. Next fall Miller will attend the University of South Carolina with more than seven of her friends.

For many students, college is not  only a place to further their education, but also a time to grow socially and learn how to be independent. From doing your own laundry to waking up on time for your classes, one of the most important aspects of college: being self-sufficient.

“I definitely need to learn how to do laundry soon,” laughed Nolan Bennett; Bennett will attend Virginia Tech next fall.

Whether you’re going to college in California or right here in Baltimore, your freshman year will be filled with ups and downs. Whenever you’re feeling home-sick, just remember: Once a Comet, always a Comet.

Good Luck class of 2017!

These are our 5 most helpful tips to being successful your freshman year of college 

1. Exercise and eat well. We’ve all heard of the freshman 15, right? Hit your college’s gym at least 2 or 3 times a week! Even though the food will be all you can eat, limit yourself and try to eat a balanced diet.

1. Join a club, Be Involved. It seems that there is a club for every interest out there. Join one. They do cool things and have lots of fun. If you are not sure which club to join, pick one that does public service. For example, most universities have a Habitat for Humanity chapter that builds or fixes houses. Getting involved is a great way to give back to the community and meet positive people.

1. Get to know your roommate and others in your residence hall. Many people are going into college not knowing anyone else. Befriend the people you live with. They are going through similar experiences and have similar feelings to you. Being friendly to everyone you meet can ensure that you have emotional support systems and that you stay in the loop for social gatherings.

1. Take time to attend important campus events. Universities often have very invite celebrities and successful people on campus to host discussions. Attend them and stick around and meet the guests. This may be the only time in your life that you will have this kind of access to noteworthy people.

1. Keep track of your money. If you’ve never had to create a budget, now is the time to do so. Save your money! As much as you might think you need that $9.00 box of trading cards with your school’s mascot on them, you don’t.

Not sure what to bring with you as you pack for college? Check out these lists to make sure you don’t forget anything!

http://www.hercampus.com/life/campus-life/what-bring-college-best-college-packing-list-ever

http://www.collegepackinglist.com/

https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/get-in/making-a-decision/off-to-college-checklist

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

• Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate

Class of 2017 Prepares to Graduate