CHS students, staff protect against racist acts

Rediet Girma, Staff

Since Donald Trump became president-elect, news sources have reported a rash of racist, anti-Muslim, anti-Semitic, and white supremacist incidents. Chants of “Build that wall!” have broken out inside school cafeterias, racist graffiti has appeared on college campuses , and people have started wearing safety pins to support those living in the communities around the country.

These reports coincided with the release of the FBI’s annual report on hate crimes in America, as well as news reports where 9 of 10 teachers have reported that instances of bullying have increased in their schools since the election.

This makes students wonder if CHS could be experiencing any of these problems.

“I’m not really a political person, but from what I have seen and heard of this election, our country is in for a lot of problems,” explained senior Jade Sherrill.

The 2016 election has definitely been a huge topic that has everybody talking. People have different opinions and idea towards the new president of the United States.

In the days following Donald Trump’s presidential victory, there have been many reported incidents of harassment and bullying in schools throughout the states. In Tennessee, for example, a black student was blocked from entering his classroom by two white students chanting, “Trump Trump,” according to his high school teacher.

This of course was in Tennessee, but would this be tolerated in Maryland? Could it happen here?

The CHS administration would not tolerate it.

“In this kind of incident, we would of course go back to the handbook to see what would be the right punishment for this kind of behavior, but this definitely wouldn’t be tolerated at Catonsville High,” explained Principal Matt Ames.

Students have pointed out that they wouldn’t allow that type of intimidation.

“I wouldn’t tolerate disrespect; if somebody put their hands on me, I’m fighting,” explained sophomore Bryan Deans.

According to CNN, the election negatively impacted students’ behavior and mood. Forty percent of teachers said they have heard derogatory language used against students of color. Muslims, immigrants and other students based on gender or sexual orientation.

On CNN, teacher aid Lindsey Polkl , a fifth-grade teacher in Minnesota commented, “We are still daily experiencing the affects of the outcome of the election.”

But fortunately none of this nonsense is tolerated at Catonsville High School. There haven’t been any reports on bullying or anything related to students and the election.

Catonsville has a strict policy on bullying. Students know there is a huge consequence to bullying incidents and they know not to disrespect their fellow classmates over something like an elections.

• CHS students, staff protect against racist acts

We R Generation Z

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

How to Slam those AP Exams!

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles