CHS Helping the Hungry

Jade Quinn, Staff Writer

bowl2How often do you help out the less fortunate? We tend to forget that there are many people who struggle to find their next meal, and The Empty Bowls Project is a great way to gain awareness and help out those in need.

This year is CHS’s eighth year participating in the event. Many unique bowls have been handcrafted by the students here over the years.

“This year is my second year participating,” said senior Sam Waid. “I love being able to express my creativity for a good cause.”

Every guest at the event pays an entry fee which serves as a donation to those who are in need of food. Guests then have the opportunity to choose from over 3,000 bowls that were handcrafted and donated. If the guest wish to have more than one bowl, they can pay ten dollars for an additional bowl.Then, the guest are allowed to chose from a variety of soups donated by local restaurants. There are a variety of soups from crab soup to chicken soup. After the guest eat soup, the bowls are kept by the guest to serve as a reminder that many people are suffering from poverty and have “empty bowls”.

“We’ve been busy with the mural, but we’ve still made time for the bowls,” said Mrs. Spiridigliozzi. “The event has grown so big that it has moved from the St. Vincent Church to the Timonium Fairgrounds.”

Empty Bowls takes place Saturday, March 22 at the Maryland State Fairgrounds in Timonium, 4-H Building. There is a lunch session from 12:00 to 2:30 and a dinner session from 5:00 to 7:30. Tickets are $25, but admission for children five or younger are free.

The event isn’t simply for eating soup. There are many things to do at the event such as take part in a silent auction, buy tickets for raffles, participate in “Wine and Dine,” and there are crafts and activities for children.

Can’t attend the event? There are many other ways to help. Create a bowl, donate soup, attend the event, or simply donate money. For more information, visit their site at http://emptybowlsbaltimore.org/.