CHS Students Ski Vermont

CHS Students Ski Vermont

Alicia Dixon, Staff Writer

President’s Day Weekend has come and gone, and that means that so has the CHS annual ski trip to Vermont.  This year, the group of about forty students and four teachers went to two ski resorts called Jay Peak and Stowe.

Because school was cancelled due to inclement weather, the trip departure time was moved from 2:45 after school to 11:30 am.  After a ten-hour bus ride, the group arrived in Vermont around 9:30 pm Friday night, a change from the usual 3:00 am arrival, and left for the slopes early at 7:00 the next morning.

While the ride was long, it was worth the time.

“The bus ride was really long and cramped, but it was a really fun environment,” sophomore Brianna Spinnato explained.

Even though the wakeup times on the trip were early, at 6 am, it was fine with these CHS skiers.

“It was worth it because it’s good to get out on the mountain early in order to get the good snow,” Spinnato commented.

The bus ride from the hotel to the ski resorts made the early wakeups necessary. And after the hour-and-a-half bus ride from the hotel to Jay Peak, CHS students packed the slopes and had a successful Day One.

“I think we all had such a great first day because the weather was great, and we were all so excited to go skiing,” sophomore Christian Blanch said.

The next day, the group got up at 6 am again and made the 45-minute trek to Stowe Ski Resort.  Students went to Stowe last year and were excited to return.

“Stowe was really cold,” Blanch said, “but I liked it more than Jay Peak because the runs were longer and and more fun.”

Between the two resorts, one of the main attractions that students enjoyed was tree skiing.  Many skiers go off of the trails and into the woods to explore and ski through the forest.  Although some of these trips are on unmarked trails, or aren’t even trails at at, they are within the ski hill boundaries.

“Tree skiing is really fun and challenging, but you need to be more aware of your surroundings,” Blanch explained.

Overall, students are willing to take the long trip to the slopes in Vermont because the difficulty is higher, and it is more challenging.

“The slopes in Vermont are definitely way better. Maryland and Pennsylvania slopes are like hills compared to the mountains in Vermont where there are better slopes and snow,” Spinnato explained. “It’s more challenging out there [in Vermont], and there is a lot more variety.”