New Year’s Resolutions

Jessica Lednum, Staff

Happy New Year! We’ve officially made it into a new decade. Entering a new year always comes with new beginnings. Many people change their lifestyles to better themselves, whether it’s going to the gym, changing eating habits, picking up a new hobby or even ending one. A new year also allows someone to leave negative energies and bad habits in the past, so they can focus on themselves in the future.

New Year resolutions vary between ages. Teenagers go through many life changes, including going into high school, getting a job, and preparing for college. Their resolutions will be based on adapting to the changes in life. Common ones being to make friends, get a driver’s license, improve GPA, and manage stress.

People who live in southern or northeastern states in the US have resolutions to save money, and those in western or midwestern states focus more on losing weight.

The most common resolution in America is to lose weight by dieting or exercising. Statistics show that 19.7% of Americans plan to exercise to get in shape, while 18.3% plan to diet to lose weight.

“My [resolutions] would probably be to go to the gym and stop eating out as much,” senior Mariam Abraham shared.

Statistics also show that 26.5% of Americans find that personal development resolutions have been the easiest to keep up with.

“My New Year’s resolution is to be more on time. I’ve always been a late person, and I realized that trying to be more on time will save me a lot of stress,” senior Grace Morris expressed.

Others have a more academic focus.

“Some of my resolutions are finishing senior year with A’s, adapting to change related to college, being more positive, and saving money,” senior Claire Doll explained.

A new resolution for Americans in 2020 is to stay motivated.

Senior Brianna Council, who has an Instagram account dedicated to her makeup skills, stated that she wants her “makeup page to be more recognized” for the new year.

It’s difficult for most Americans to maintain their New Year resolution. Only 25% of people stay committed after a month, and only 8% accomplish what they wanted. To prevent from letting go of your resolutions, it’s said to break down your goal into measurable pieces. It’ll be easier to keep track of your process and to stay focus.