Why CHS Teachers Became Teachers

Why CHS Teachers Became Teachers

Caitlin Blair, Staff

In elementary school when someone asked you what you wanted to be… you may have said a princess, ballerina, famous soccer player. Well once you start hitting high school, it may have been more serious. Your grades start to matter, and you start thinking about career paths. If you reflect on all your learning, and who got you to where you are, your teachers got you there.
So why would you want to be a teacher?
According to weareteachers.com, “the average teacher affects over 3000 students in a positive way during their career.” The website also states, “54% of students say a teacher has helped them during a difficult time.” Most teachers you know will find the best way for you to learn information through many opportunities. Every student comes from a different background, and teachers always try their best to help you succeed.
English eacher Rosie Ruzzi was inspired to be a teacher by her mother. She knew she wanted to be a teacher since she was little. She chose to be an English teacher specifically because she believes that you can reach out to the kids and teach morals with life lessons.
“I think English is a really cool way to teach kids values and give them a better view of the world,” she explained.
World history teacher Brendan Kennedy decided to be a teacher because it’s all he’s ever wanted as a job. He felt like being a teacher was a good job for him because it felt like it fit. He also got inspired by a bunch of life experiences.
“I wanted to do something that felt like it mattered, and it checked a lot of boxes for myself as far as what I want of a job,” he explained.
Science department chair Natasha Wilson stated that she is a “career changer”. When she moved to Maryland, she had a hard time finding a job, then she found a teacher residency program and fell in love with the idea of teaching.
“Every year I can’t wait to see a number of students graduate and grow; I just love helping students with not just science, but as people,” she explained.
These teachers at CHS wanted to do their profession to benefit kids’ lives. They put their hard work aside to make sure every kid comes out learning a lesson–not just a school lesson, but a life lesson.