Are We in Disney Heaven?

Darius Walters, Staff

On November 12, 2019, Disney released its own streaming service, Disney+. This service is filled with all sorts of Disney and Disney-owned properties including Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars, and National Geographic. The network is also debuting new original content including but not limited to The Mandalorian, Encore and High School Musical: The Musical: The Series. Disney + has many streaming selections for anyone’s viewing pleasure, with all types of Disney-owned favorites and classic films for only $6.99 a month and $69.99 a year. 

“Disney + has literally everything, I was looking on it and it has lots of classic movies like Cinderella and The Little Mermaid, but it also has a lot of older Disney channel shows like The Suite life of Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana, which was my favorite show when I was littleI just like the convenience of it all and how it’s all in one place,” stated senior Claire Doll. 

The service has picked up a lot of buzz throughout the year and is a big talking point among everyone. Students and teachers alike at CHS are delighted by what the service has to offer. 

What I love about it is that my daughter, my husband, and I can all sit down together and watch the shows from my childhood. For instance, my husband likes Dark-Winged Duck, and now he and my daughter will spend like two hours watching it together,” explained theater teacher Lauren Gill. 

At launch there were some technical issues and missing features that other services had. 

“We got it when it first released, so naturally there would be some issues; It took a while for shows and certain sections (like the Pixar section) to load because everyone was using it the first day it came out,” explained senior Ethan Balbier. 

Junior Josh Ponce also experienced some technical issues. 

Whenever I stopped watching something. it usually picks up at a different point or restarts entirely,” he explained. 

Some wish Disney + had features like other streaming sevices and websites. 

“I wish there was a continue watching’ section, similar to Netflix for extra convenience,” Doll said. 

Since launch, this continue watching section has been added. 

Disney is not just important to the fans of Disney but to the company as a whole since it serves as a testament to Disney’s history. 

“You can get some historical perspective through their old shows, as there are things on the service that date back to the earlier 1900’s like Steamboat Willy, Ponce explained. 

Balbier also enjoys the historical aspect of the service. 

You can see how much Disney has changed over the years through all of the TV shows and movies that they have. It’s just a great way to re-experience the magic of your childhood,” he explained. 

Disney + puts an end of the existence of the infamous “Disney Vault. 

“When I was growing up with Disney, everything was in the vault,’ and you’d have to go out and buy classics like The Little Mermaid or Sleeping Beauty whenever it came out of the vault and then it would be gone. So whats cool is that all the Disney movies are available, even the ones in the vault, but its available any time you want,” Ms. Gill said. 

Some see Disney + as a big competitor for Netflix, Hulu, and even cable television. 

“A lot of people want to have all the Disney movies at their fingertips which Netflix and Hulu don’t have any more, so Disney + has the one-up on them,” Doll pointed out. 

Others see it as a way to save money. 

I want to cut the cable cord because I pay so much for cableI have Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon Prime, and with Disney +, I feel like I can get rid of my cable now,” explained Ms. Gill.