The Importance of Friend Groups in High School

Jessica Lednum, Staff

Lots of teenagers are in friend groups and stick with them throughout the four years of high school. Friends help us each other with many things: reducing stress, coping with personal struggles, and providing a sense of belonging and purpose.

Friends are a support system. They are the ones who are up late at night, hearing rants about problems. Having a friend group during the teenage years is very helpful. During this stage teens are finding out who they are as they branch off from families to discover the things they like, what they’re passionate and care about, most importantly their identity. The shared interests, attitudes, and social struggles between peers creates a close connection as well as comfort.

These close connections help teens learn about acceptance, trust, intimacy, and respect, which will be very helpful concepts as they enter adulthood.

“The biggest things [friends offer] would be happiness and comfort. Whenever I’m with friends, it’s never a sad moment. We are always having fun and laughing about something. They keep me happy and I know I can always go to them,” senior Empress Tremble explained.

Senior Kaiya Watkins-Brent shares similar ideas.

“My friends provide comfort and support. We’re all growing with each other rather we have the same lifestyles or not. They provide a different perspective and opinion to any situation,” Watkins-Brent also explained.

Having common interests to discuss with friends can bring people together and support friendships. As a person discovers and creates more shared experiences with their peers, the bonds of friendship are formed. Communication is also very key in friendships, as it’s a way of enabling people to deeply understand each other.

“I usually see [friends] during school and after school, which is really beneficial to me. When I’ve had a long day, it’s nice to be able to rant about my problems to someone you know cares and is happy to listen to you,” senior Testimony Nduka expressed.

Although we may not see our friends often due to busy schedules, our phones are a very useful tool to use to stay in touch. Watkins-Brent brings up a good point about staying connected.

“Through text it’s like we’re having a conversation constantly and it keeps us up to date on everyone. We are also pretty up on date on social media, too. This allows us to share content we find an interest in with each other quick and easy,” Watkins-Brent said.

Studies show  that teenagers who have close friendships have better mental health as young adults. Tremble revealed that she deals with anxiety and depression, and that her friends are always there to calm her down.

“My friends mean good times when I’m with them I know I’m going to enjoy my time. They are a major role in my happiness and recovery,” she stated.

Overall, friendships for teenagers are an important part of the journey to adulthood. They help them develop important social and emotional skills, such as being delicate to other people’s thoughts, feelings and wellbeing.