Caffeine in Students

Logan Loza, Staff

Across the U.S more than 90 percent of adults use caffeine to wake up and feel refreshed. It is America’s most used legal drug, and it is present in coffee, tea, energy drinks, and other consumable products. 

Is coffee healthy for students to use? After all, caffeine is a stimulant and causes increased focus, improved concentration, wakefulness, and can alleviate fatigue. Multiple studies have been run to show effects of what caffeine does to the body.  

Many students use caffeine each day for a quick jolt of energy. This includes athletes as well as average students, and most students use coffee or energy drinks. Usually students get coffee at the store or make it at home and consume it regularly. But is it healthy for them?  

The answer is yes, but in moderation in which students should only consume 100mgs of caffeine, or one cup of coffee. According to doctors, 100mg of caffeine is just enough not to upset your normal energy levels and just enough to give you that boost. 

Students who consume coffee daily, such as senior Amber McGuire, say that she usually only consumes coffee in the morning as it helps her wake and stay focused at school, but only consumes “One cup of coffee a day or a coke. 

One cup is the recommended amount which she drinks, and she believes that students alike should only drink one cup of coffee according to her. 

The opposite is only drinking caffeine once or twice a week as student senior Fletcher Oaks does.  

Oakes drinks Monster BFC’s (a 32oz can of energy drink), and drinks it in one sitting. He says he only drinks it in the morning or afternoon, during or after school.  

The BFC contains almost 300mg of caffeine or three times the recommended amount for an adolescent, but Oakes said, “I only drinks one when I have the money and need the energy boost”. 

To answer the question of if caffeine is healthy from students is that it is, nonetheless, it needs to be consumed in moderation and not be abused like anything we put in our bodies.