Dealing with Migraines

Dealing with Migraines

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Migraines affect around 10% of teens in the U.S. according to the Migraine Research Foundation and affect around 56% of 133 CHS students on an Instagram survey.  

Migraines are terrible, but here are some ways to help treat them. 

Water and rest are essential when someone’s head begins to hurt. Sleep is very important for the body to recover and feel better. Dehydration may contribute to a migraine so staying hydrated is very important. Going along with that, what is eaten contributes to it as well.  

“Stay off your phone, because that’s the one worst thing for your head. And eat healthy, because your body doesn’t like something you put in it,” says sophomore Kevin Buck.  

Figuring out triggers or causes of the migraine is helpful because then sometimes there is a simple fix, and they can easily be avoided, like a change in diet. Stress and hormones play a big role in headaches and migraines and is the cause of many teenager’s migraines.  

Senior Caitlin Mccormick says hers are caused by weather and stress as well.  

A change in the weather, like barometric pressure or storms, can trigger them.  

There are over the counter medications that can be taken that lessen the pain, such as Excedrin migraine, and even just aspirin or ibuprofen and acetaminophen.  

“Lots of Advil, sleep, and being in a dark room with no noise,” said sophomore Rosemary Mcneal in response to how she gets rid of migraines.  

Sensitivity to light and noise is normal when having a migraine, so it’s important to steer clear of those so it doesn’t worsen. 

“I get them from stress or hormones, and mint or peppermint scented things help mine. I also take Excedrin which is made for migraines,” stated sophomore Devyn Tracy. 

Essential oils have many therapeutic benefits, but peppermint and lavender essential oils are especially beneficial when your head hurts.  

Sit up straight because back stress can cause the head to hurt more or cause what’s called a tension headache. 

“Try acupuncture. I know that sounds weird, like with needles, but it genuinely works. It doesn’t hurt and just overall helps,” explained senior Erin Murphy. 

Sometimes head pain could be more concentrated into one area rather than throughout. Putting heat or icing the main spot can reduce the pain.  

Caffeine can help with a throbbing pain one might feel, whether that be with soda, coffee, or a caffeinated tea like green tea. Ginger green tea is advantageous because it can help with nausea and the migraine itself. 

Nausea is a common symptom of having a migraine. Tums can help with this and so can drinking a glass of cold water with 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar mixed in because it can neutralize excess stomach acid according to Natural Food Series.com. 

If a student gets a migraine during school hours, don’t be afraid to go to the nurse for meds and, if needed a small break from class.  

“When I deal with migraines while at school I usually go to the bathroom, drink lots of water, put earbuds in without music to block out some noise, and take medicine,” exclaimed freshman Megan Kehrman.  

It’s important to go to doctors if it worsens or doesn’t get better. They can recommend how to stop migraines or reduce the pain.  

Just like every person is different, every migraine is different; it is a matter of trial and error to determine what works best for a certain individual.