Managing a High School Sport

Managing a High School Sport

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Without actually being an athlete, one can still be part of a team.  

Managing a sport is a great alternative for those who don’t necessarily want to play, but still want to help out on the team. But what is it really like managing a sport for a high school team?  

Although it’s good to know the rules and such of the sport one wants to manage, it’s not a huge deal if they don’t know every little thing because they will gain a lot of knowledge of the sport throughout the season. 

Being that there are fall, winter, and spring sports, there are a lot that can be managed. If someone is interested, they just need to get their name out to the coach. In many occasions people have friends who manage, and they want to manage with them, or they just get asked by a player on the team.  

Manager of JV girls lacrosse, freshman Connor Smith, said, “I became a manager because many of my friends were on the team, and I had other friends who managed other sports and said it was fun, so I thought I would do it.” 

A similar thing happened to senior Ashley Roberts, who managed girls volleyball 9th-11th grade, then varsity boys wrestling all four years, and now manages boys varsity lacrosse. 

“I became a manager freshman year when Warm asked my friend Aislinn Cross, who was a sophomore, if she would manage wrestling. She didn’t want to do it alone, so she asked if I would do it too,” stated Roberts. 

Depending on the sport, the time it takes up in one’s schedule may vary.  

Some coaches may ask for help during practices which are normally every day after school, while some coaches may just want help during games.  

Most managers take stats and keep track of score at games. Other jobs for managers may vary depending on the sport and what the coach requests, like JV volleyball manager  freshman Megan Kehrman 

“As a manger you’re like an assistant to the coach; whatever they need, you do,” she explained. 

For some managers who stay for practices, they help warm up the players and help the coach out when needed.  

“My job has always been running the book and recording stats and sometimes running the clock in wrestling. Running the book is essentially tracking the sport and what each player does, as well as keeping score overall. It’s hard at first, but then you get a feel for things, and you recognize patterns in games and players, so you then know what to expect, explained Roberts. 

Everyone that has managed a sport really enjoys it and would suggest managing to others who are interested. 

“I would recommend it to anyone because you get close with a lot of people and you’re going to get a lot of good memories out of it,” claimed sophomore Genna Manger, who manages volleyball and boys lacrosse.  

Manager of wrestling, sophomore Karis Devaney, also said she definitely would recommend it, saying, “It’s something to do in your free time, always fun, a way for you to make more friends and support others.” 

Managing is a wonderful experience, not to mention it looks great on a resume. 

• Managing a High School Sport

What is the Child Development Class?

• Managing a High School Sport

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

• Managing a High School Sport

Managing a High School Sport