Prom Dos and Don’ts

Prom Dos and Don’ts

Katrina Bucher, Staff

The school year may be winding down, but the highly-anticipated prom season is just around the corner. For many fresh-faced juniors, this is their first prom, and seniors are hit with their first off-campus dance. So, before you freak out about if someone’s going to wear the same dress as you or not having a date, here are some prom do’s and don’ts! 

DO: Find something to wear that makes you feel confident. Prom is an awesome opportunity to dress up with friends and take pictures you’ll look back on years later. Dress for the occasion! There are tons of dress shops such as David’s Bridal and Lulu’s, and the Men’s Warehouse in Columbia is great for tux rentals. 

DON’T: Stress over what you’ll wear. No matter how excited you may be for prom, it is only one night. You shouldn’t spend tons of money on an outfit you’ll only wear once, and the outfit won’t make the night amazing- friends and family will. 

DO: Plan ahead. Prom night can be chaotic if you wait until the last minute to create the agenda. Know your transportation (rent a limo if you’re feeling fancy, or have an uber on standby, picture place (such as a local church or friend’s backyard), and anything else that could come up for you and your friends. 

DON’T: Worry about having a date. The myth that you need a date to go to prom is completely FALSE! You’ll have way more fun going with a group of friends than someone you hardly know just to say you had a date. 

DO: Buy your ticket in advance. Senior prom can especially sell out quickly, so don’t wait until the last minute. If you’re bringing a date from another school, you also need to fill out a permission slip ahead of time. Seniors: see Mr. Hill up until April 17th to purchase your tickets and pay your senior dues if needed. 

DON’T: Make stupid decisions just because it’s prom. One night of bad choices could result in suspension, expulsion, danger, and worst of all, colleges rescinding your acceptance! Be smart and safe.