Urban Legends & Myths

Urban Legends & Myths

Emelie Ingle, Staff

Myths are traditional ideas or stories, passed down through generations, that people commonly believe or go along with. They are not necessarily proven true or false. They can range from a superstition, like a black cat crossing your path will cause bad luck, all the way to the legend that if you say Bloody Mary three times in a mirror, she will appear.  

Myths are most commonly believed by children because they are impressionable and will most likely believe things that you tell them. 

“When I was a kid, my parents would tell me things, and I always believed it no matter what. But now I know some things they told me were not true,” explained freshman Kassidy Boehl. 

Some parents have told their kids that if they swallow a piece of gum, it will stay in their stomach for seven years, but this is not true. The truth to this is that your stomach doesn’t digest gum the same way as other food, but it does not stay in your stomach longer than anything else you eat.  

Food seems to be a popular topic for urban myths. 

“If you eat a watermelon with seeds and you swallow the seeds, then the watermelon will grow in your stomach. I also heard about one where you can’t step on a crack or you’ll break your mother’s back,” shared freshman Cate McNamara.  

There are many superstitions where you would get bad luck from doing something, ones like…if you open an umbrella indoors, if you go under a standing ladder, and if you crack a mirror you will get bad luck for seven years.  

Maybe one person saw a black cat and died or something, and then someone noticed and started the idea that you will get bad luck from it. I think it’s one specific situation and people made it bigger than it should be,” added McNamara. 

Although they are both commonly believed by most, superstitions and myths are different. 

“A superstition is something that you choose to believe, and a myth is more so something that you aren’t sure whether its real or not but youre told to believe it. It’s a difference between facts, and what you think,” explained freshman Darcy Blottenberger. 

Some people believe these stories or myths just because it’s an answer to an unknown question. Other people are convinced they are true. 

Most of the time, parents will tell their kids something to keep them from doing something they shouldn’t be doing. According to The Loop news article, there are many lies your parents told you when you were younger.  

For example, someone might have told you that you can’t swim for 30 minutes after you’ve eaten. Another may have been that eating carrots will improve your eyesight. This is not completely false because they do promote good eye health, but this was another white lie to make you eat your vegetables.    

Although myths and superstitions are different, they are both believed by many people and will most likely continue to be spread around for years to come.