Meet Mr. Eko: CHS’s New Math Teacher

Isaiah Smith, Staff

Tolorunju Eko is CHS’s newest Algebra and Statistics teacher, replacing Ms. Peck 

Mr. Eko is originally from Nigeria, but he has been teaching in the States for about four years put together, 2 years full time and 2 years as a substitute. 

His educational background includes a Bachelor’s degree in Mathematics Education and a Master’s in Education Administration. Mr. Eko also has degrees in Computer Science and is currently wrapping up a Master’s in Cyber Security. 

Mr. Eko first started teaching at CHS about three months ago.  

“The kids are great, though there are some challenges sometimes, but everything is okay,” he shared. 

What is his favorite part about CHS? 

“I have not taken time to identify that, maybe because I move quite often from school to school, I have not really paid attention to what makes one school greater than another, because I see every school as unique, and Catonsville High one school that have a lot of good things,” Mr. Eko explained. 

Even though he couldn’t give a specific reason of what he likes most about the school on the spot, he did have good things to say about his fellow teachers. 

“The teachers are all great teachers, willing to work with you, willing to help you to succeed, the teachers are great, the students are cooperative also, so that’s one good thing about the school,” he said. 

So how do his students feel about Mr. Eko? 

“Mr. Eko is a really fun teacher, and he really helps people, each a everyone, and I really enjoy his class,” sophomore Mi Yun Gun said. 

Other students agree. 

“I think he’s a very good teacher. He’s really helpful. He’s probably about as helpful as Ms. Peck,” sophomore Samantha Meek shared. 

Sophomore Clair Stump appreciates what he brings to his classroom besides content. 

“Mr. Eko is a wholesome being. He is a very good teacher and goes through every problem with us, and he makes sure that we know what we’re doing,” she remarked.