Time to Ring in Spring

Time to Ring in Spring

Eden Beyene, Staff

The couple 60-degree days we’ve had this winter have given us glimpses into the spring; however, now, the season is really around the corner (March 20th is the first day). The sun rises a little earlier and sets a little later, birds are chirping in the morning, and the weather is warming up. Because the change of season may spur you to try some new activities, here are some ways to have fun this start of spring. 

1. Go for a walk or hike 

The outdoors are calling you! Take advantage of the weather as soon as it warms up. You don’t have to be super athletic to enjoy the weather while being active. A simple walk is enough to give you fresh air and cure cabin fever. If you want to mix it up, try hiking. The Trolley Trail is a great option that starts on the corner of Edmonson Avenue and Stonewall Road. While you’re out, take in the scenery of budding trees and seasonal flowers. 

2. Pick up a good read 

Need something to do while relaxing outside? Reading is a peaceful way to pass the time and can also be done indoors if it’s too chilly out. Try a new book genre or author. Choose an uplifting and positive piece- something to set the mood for the season. The book could even be about crafts or hobbies to do in the spring, such as gardening.

3. Start spring cleaning 

Spring cleaning doesn’t have to be a long-term goal that you give up on come summer; start at the beginning of spring before you procrastinate. It may help to break the job up by going room by room. While you work, open all the windows, and use the spring breeze as air freshener. After you’re done, make your work last by setting up new rules such as washing dishes right after you use them. 

4. Plant seasonal fruit and veggies 

Have you ever thought about starting a garden? Now’s your chance! There are plenty of seeds that thrive when planted in March: peas, carrots, beets, and lettuce to name a few. When your veggies grow, enjoy them in a fresh and healthy salad. Gardening can also force you to get fresh air all spring and summer long; you may even find it a nice change from your daily routine.  

5. Visit the D.C. cherry blossoms 

Go with friends and family to the nation’s capital for a spring trip. The cherry blossoms were given to America as a gift from Japan and are huge attraction when they blossom. Most blossoms typically come out late March to early April. They’re located in multiple areas around D.C., including the Tidal Basin and several monuments. In addition to outdoor time, you can receive relaxation from a peaceful stroll through these trees. 

• Time to Ring in Spring

What is the Child Development Class?

• Time to Ring in Spring

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

• Time to Ring in Spring

Time to Ring in Spring