Summer Jobs in Catonsville for Students

Summer Jobs in Catonsville for Students

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

It’s almost three quarters of the way through the school year, meaning summer is approaching, besides vacations, a lot of high schoolers choose to work. 

Want a job to make some money this summer? Well, it’s best to start thinking about it now! Catonsville has many avenues to research to make some summer cash. 

A survey taken by CHS students shows that it’s about 50/50 when it comes to whether or not students work during the summer. 

The traditional jobs of babysitting and pet sitting are always needed and fairly easy to get, especially with working parents and summer trips, although these are sometimes not as predictable as being on a set schedule of working in a restaurant or a store.  

There are many families with young children, so a person who is looking to be a babysitter just needs to get their name out there, whether it be at the pool or just around the neighborhood. Some families may need someone to drive the kids to the pool or fun activities such as playgrounds or libraries. 

“I’m babysitting my two younger neighbors this summer part-time from 9 am to 3 pm, for 6 hours a day,” sophomore Max Powell responded.  

Doing yard work is also a common option for teenagers. Some families might need help with watering plants or gardens. Just check in with neighbors. Weeding and mowing lawns may be a part of plant maintenance as well. 

Sophomore Sofie Pulone also added, “I’m hopefully dog walking and babysitting for extra cash, and to help out my neighbors.” 

The great thing about babysitting, pet sitting, and/or doing yard work though, is that the payment is in cash with no taxes or social security taken out. 

Camp counselors are a good option for high school students up through college. There are some close-by options in Catonsville, such as Camp Heritage at CCBC. 

“I’m working as a camp counselor this upcoming summer,” stated sophomore Michael Wright  

If a consistent paycheck is more desirable, many local restaurants could be an option to students. Beware of college students coming home for the summer who have previously worked there as they would have seniority and get on a schedule to their liking. Restaurants like Dimitris, Matthews 1600, Chef P’s, State Fare are all fairly accommodating to students’ schedules and are hiring right now.  

Working in a restaurant is hard work. Long term standing, lifting, andof course, having to be nice and patient can be exhausting. During the summer, many restaurants are open later, which means longer hours and more money, too. And don’t forget tips. 

Sophomore Rebekah Rykiel said she will continue to work at Atwater’s over the summer.  

Many pools have already hired their staff for the lifeguarding and snack bar before the 2019 season.  Rollingwood sent out an email in December regarding summer employment positions.  

“We finished our hiring in December,” said Barb Bates, manager of Five Oaks. 

Some families are hiring just to sit at the pool with their kids and be there for emergencies and sunscreen and lunch reminders. Most pools have bulletin boards to put up flyers for work wanted. 

Don’t forget the retail job. Columbia and Arundel Mills Malls have many options. Retail is hard. The customer is always right, there is constant standing, and minimum wage isn’t that much money. Catonsville offers a few retail shops in addition. In the Long Gate shopping center, 40 West Plaza, Main Street Ellicott City, etc. are good resources, too. 

If a person is committed to staying employed through the school year after the summer, that helps with employability as does being flexible, getting good grades, and having transportation/a way to work.  

Ashley Metzbower, Staff

Hi, I'm Ashley Metzbower, and I'm a sophomore here at Catonsville. I enjoy writing and I'm excited to be able to do so in the school newspaper!

• Summer Jobs in Catonsville for Students

Valentine’s Day Clichés: No Way or OK?

Stay Immune to Senioritis

Summer Jobs in Catonsville for Students