What Classes Do Students Want?

What Classes Do Students Want?

Rayner Reinhardt, Staff

One heavily anticipated part of college for students is the ability to choose from a wide range of classes. Washington Sex Scandals, Politicizing Beyonce, and Tree Climbing are all college courses offered at certain campuses around America. Compared to the basic class schedule that every high schooler takes, these classes can seem ideal.  

Although CHS gives students the opportunity for electives in their schedule, many students would like to see a higher variety of classes. New classes can introduce courses that can be both fun and beneficial to students. 

“I wish CHS had a dance class; I think a lot of students would take it, and it would be a good exercise too. It would be a fun class, but it would give more gym options besides weight training and team sports,” senior Caitlin McCormick said.  

Research has shown that students who take dance have better creative thinking abilities, which could help them in different classes. Creativity is often looked over by the Common Core and standardized testing, but encouraging creative outlets can help students release stress and enjoy school more.  

“Doing something that I enjoy, or doing something expressive, puts me in a better mood for school. I think a lot of people would feel the same,” McCormick said.  

Sophomore Nate Frenkel suggests that a Latin class would be beneficial to students: “My dad always talks about taking Latin in high school and using it for vocabulary. I think being able to speak Latin would help a lot of students with their English because of the similarities in the roots and bases of the languages.” 

Currently, the CHS World Language Department offers Spanish, French, and Chinese courses. Learning any new language can help students improve their use of English–because they are thinking about what they are saying–but Latin can especially help with English grammar and vocabulary.   

In addition to these suggestions, a frequent student idea for a class is personal finance. Students complain about lack of education on things they actually need in the future, and this course offering could address this concern.  

“I think a finance class would be cool. I have no idea about taxes, or saving, or investments. Students should be given access to learning things that we actually need because not everyone is going to be a biologist, but everyone is going to have to handle their money,” senior Sydney Tivvis said. 

According to U.S. News, education experts claim that teaching student’s personal finance is necessary for their future success. Starting early with finances is key to building and handling money properly.  

A class like this in school would give this information to students who can’t receive it at home. Even adults today have never properly learned about their finances, so by giving kids that opportunity early, we can help change that. 

Of course, we would love for CHS to offer every cool class imagined, but as Principal Ames said, “it’s a numbers game. Scheduling and classes are determined by the staff I have and the students who express interest in a class.”  

With that said, students who are very passionate about a certain new class could always bring their ideas to the administration, but the actual addition would most likely need an overwhelming amount of student support and an obvious benefit to the school.

• What Classes Do Students Want?

What is the Child Development Class?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

• What Classes Do Students Want?

What Classes Do Students Want?