Sleep Deprivation and You

Sleep Deprivation and You

Maia Adeoye, Staff

Adolescence. It’s a crazy time, full of raging hormones and all nighters. Along with all the great things about being a teen, a lack of sleep seems to be one of the big negative changes. 

According to KidsHealth.org, during adolescence, the body’s circadian rhythm (an internal biological clock) is reset, telling a teen to fall asleep later at night and wake up later in the morning. This change in the circadian rhythm seems to happen because a teen’s brain makes the hormone melatonin later at night than the brains of kids and adults do. Melatonin is one hormone which helps regulate a person’s sleep–wake cycles.  

With these facts in mind, it is very likely that the students at CHS are dealing with sleep problems as well. 

Many people use the phrase, “I’m so tired” after a night of studying or one too many frappuccinos the day prior. There are some who use this term daily after multiple nights of very little rest.  

“On average, I get around 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night,” sophomore Faith Jones elaborated. 

Though doctors recommend that people between the age of 13-18 get about eight to nine hours of sleep daily, Jones represents many CHS students. Of ten interviewed students, seven stated that they only get around five to six hours of sleep a night. 

There are many causes for sleeping in later than intended. In the lives of many teens, school tends to be the culprit. 

“I think most students have trouble sleeping at night because of our phones and laptops. Sometimes I’ll stay up to watch a movie or catch up on my favorite shows on Netflix,” sophomore Rosemary McNeil added. 

Sleep, sometimes, is hard to get due to stress.  

According to Healthline.com, “Chronic stress may have a profound effect on your energy levels and quality of life. Although some stress is normal, excessive levels of stress have been linked to fatigue in several studies.”  

According to most high school students, school is very stressful.  

Sophomore Era Tial feels strongly about this.  

“I would get more sleep and have more energy if it wasn’t for school. I have so much homework that I can’t even focus on anything else ever!” she exclaimed. 

Students also reported that they had stayed up the night before to do schoolwork.  

Overall, sleep is something that high school students just don’t get enough of. It’s a problem that seems to affect a lot of teenagers and yet it isn’t addressed much outside of the doctor’s office. Should sleep deprivation in adolescence be talked about more?