Finding a Job is All in the Prep

Finding a Job is All in the Prep

Katrina Bucher, Staff

With college application fees, phone plan costs, and the occasional food run, teenagers are struggling with money now more than ever. The seeming obvious solution is to get a job, but how do teenagers go about getting a job, and where? 

The first thing to do when looking for a job is to prepare your resume. A resume should include past work experience, volunteer experience, and, if applicable, your school reports. It also would be good to obtain a letter of reference from a trusted adult in your life, such as your pastor or girl scout leader.  

Senior Ashleigh Jankowski stresses the importance of having your resume ready, and if you don’t know how to create one to get help ASAP. 

“I didn’t even think about writing a resume when I first applied to SweetFrog, my first job. I had trouble with formatting mine, so I went to the writing center for help. Get help and get your resume out of the way before applying,” explained Jankowski. 

However, finding places that will hire minors can be an even bigger challenge. Mostly restaurants won’t hire servers until they’re 18, but there are many other jobs that hire people under 18. 

AP biology and anatomy teacher Dr. Danielle Rivera also advises students to prioritize school and maybe find a secondary job to work partially. 

“My parents told me my job was school, so I decided to babysit a couple times a week instead of a job. It worked out well for me,” stated Rivera. 

According to the United States Department of Labor, about 50% of American teenagers have a job, including informal jobs such as yardwork or babysitting. 

Senior Drew Stone encourages people to just call lots of places, and hope for the best. 

“I was only 17 when I started applying for jobs, and my parents just told me to apply everywhere in Catonsville. I eventually heard back from Rolling Road Golf Club, where I now drive golf carts to the members. It’s easy, and I didn’t even know that they hired minors. Just try a lot of places until you find something that’s appealing,” stated Stone. 

The last housekeeping thing students need to keep in mind while applying for a job is payment. Should you open a separate checking account, or do direct deposit? It can be very confusing. 

Junior Ian Miller recommends utilizing parents if someone doesn’t feel comfortable making their own account. 

“When I first started working, I was only 16, so I didn’t want to open my own checking account. Instead, I have a direct deposit that goes to my parents, and they give me my paycheck. I haven’t had any problems,” stated Miller. 

Getting a job doesn’t have to be scary anymore. Just try to find something interesting and be ready to work hard. With the holidays coming up, it’s always better to have some extra cash for gifts.

Katrina Bucher, Writer

Hi, I'm Katrina Bucher, a senior here at CHS. I love to play softball, golf, and hang out with my friends. I'm really happy to be writing for the school...

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

• Finding a Job is All in the Prep

Finding a Job is All in the Prep