Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

Brandon Pryor, Staff

Are you having trouble choosing a pet that fits you and your family the best? This decision can be very difficult if you don’t really know what you’re looking for. 

The R.S.P.C.A says: “Research has shown that owning a pet can have a number of physical health benefits. Increased cardiovascular health (lower blood pressure, lower triglycerides and in men, lower cholesterol) increased physical activity.” 

Now, the first step in choosing a new pet is to determine the type of animal that fits your environment the best. It is also good to be open minded to pets that may not be as commonly chosen. 

“I think I’m more of a dog person nowadays – however, turtles are neat,” junior Ian Sterling said. 

The second step is to determine the breed of the animal, but make sure you weigh the pros and cons of different breeds of animals. 

“For dogs, I’d love a husky, a retriever, or a bear dog. Fluffy, loyal, and frankly cute. What’s not to love?” Sterling commented. 

Now that you have determined the type of animal, and the breed, it is now time to gather supplies for your new pet. This can include toys to entertain the animal, or something to contain them when you aren’t home. 

“I’d go to the nearest Petco or Petsmart,”  junior Logan Loza stated. 

Then, you’ll have to choose an establishment to get your new friend from. These establishments include but are not limited to PetSmart, shelters and pounds, or breeders. 

“I would probably get a dog from an animal rescue shelter,” senior Brian Carey said. 

If you are unsure of what breed or type of animal you want, do some research and meet some that are up for sale or adoption. If the animal isn’t caught up on their vaccinations and shots, take them to a veterinarian to get your new pet up to date.  

After they are up to date on their shots, introduce them to their new home and show them where their essentials are.  Make sure they know what is and is not off limits. 

Do some additional research to find the best pet for you and go out to meet some new friends. You may even decide to adopt them into your family!

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

• Find a Pet That Fits Your Family

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

Find a Pet That Fits Your Family