Dealing with the Loss of a Family Member

Maia Adeoye, Staff

Family. They’re the most important people in the world and losing a loved one can tear a person apart. Losing anyone you care about dearly can be painful and hard to get over. 

According to the American Psychological Association, “When a death takes place, you may experience a wide range of emotions, even when the death is expected. Many people report feeling an initial stage of numbness after first learning of a death, but there is no real order to the grieving process.” These emotions are completely normal and healthy; expressing them openly to other people is essential while a person is in the grieving process.  

You’ll have a sense of emptiness. 

“When you lose something of value to you, there is usually an empty spot within you that craves your attention. The closer your connection and the more intense the loss, the more profound the emptiness may feel…Redefining parts of your life after a loss may be needed to compensate for the empty spot. Getting into a good relationship, doing volunteer work that gives your life a new meaning, joining fun recreational activities, or traveling are just some of the examples of how to bring about something positive,” professional Psychologist Dr. Michelle Roya Rad wrote for the Huffington Post. 

Growing from the loss is necessary.  

“Every loss has a message. Whether the message is for you to be more loving and accepting, to learn to be more resilient, to learn to adjust to what you cannot change, or to change something you can,” Dr. Rad added. 

Where should you go for help? At CHS, guidance counselors can aid you through the grieving process.  

“The best people to come to are us, counselors. We can make recommendations, provide outside counseling and talk to parents to evaluate outside behavior,” counselor Brittany Watkins explained.  

The grief group meets once a week, is a great way to talk to other students that have experienced loss and obtain support from the counselors.  

Teachers are also a good resource. 

“We want to let the student know that they can talk to us. We, also, have two options. We can email a counselor that can help them or direct them to the grief group,” art teacher Jessica Voss said.