A Threat of Internet Censorship

A Threat of Internet Censorship

Li Chen, Staff

Internet censorship is a common occurrence in countries like China, Cuba, Vietnam, and North Korea. Countries with internet censorship normally have government structures that are either one-party systems or dictatorships where citizens don’t have a say in much of their lives and have little freedom. 

Some websites that are used every day by American citizens are most likely blocked in China: social media sites such as Instagram, Facebook, Snapchat, and web engines such as Google are all completely censored and not accessible. According to CNBC, the Chinese government has once again strengthened the “Great Firewall” to deny access of Google, and Facebook to the people of China.  

High school students might not be aware of internet censorship because currently this country is still internet censorship free, but they should be conscious about this event and know the basic information, so they appreciate and guard the freedoms they do have. 

“Without the internet I can’t connect with friends outside of school. I spend about 7 hours a day on my phone watching YouTube or using social media,” said sophomore Devin Hughes. “I dislike the government censoring the internet because this would limit the freedom of the people and control what they think which is wrong.” 

This generation is dependent on the internet, especially because of their use of cellular devices. This increased reliance on the internet makes high schoolers especially vulnerable to internet censorship because without it they would not know how to adapt. 

Research from Washington Post states that internet censorship in China is working exactly how the government wants it to be as it prevents information harmful to the Communist Party from entering the country. 

If anything would to be censored, citizens wouldn’t have access to the news or any events that occurs in the area they live and might not even know until several days after it occurred. 

It’s alarming to students to consider what life without access would be like. 

“Social life without internet would be very different because there are not many ways to communicate. My cellular device has a positive impact on me because it keeps me organized and set reminders. Internet censorship should not be legalized in the USA because I should be able to search up whatever I want and use my internet however I want without government involvement,” sophomore Mark Radcliff said. 

Research from CNBC states that when the “Great Firewall” gets strengthened in China, Chinese students that rely on VPN to access YouTube and numerous reference websites for their coursework will not be able to because the VPN either doesn’t work as good as it used to or not function at all. 

“The internet is very important to people of our generation, I need it personally to help me learn in and outside of school. The internet being censored would affect me heavily and it should not be legalized in the United States,” junior Kelvin Spruill said. 

Internet censorship depends on how you interpret it, it could be a violation of the First Amendment rights. Just the thoughts of it angers many people who live in this country because they’ve never experienced this before and disagree with it.  

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

What is the Child Development Class?

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

CHS Prepares for ‘Test of All Tests’

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

• A Threat of Internet Censorship

A Threat of Internet Censorship