Welcome to Social Studies, Rachel Mann

Sarah Buchman, Staff

Rachel Mann is one of Catonsville High’s newest additions. She teaches American Government and Psychology.  

Growing up in Finksburg Carroll County with an older brother, Ms. Mann learned what life was like on a farm. While working with animals there, she developed the desire to be a veterinarian.  

“I was a little bit all over the place” she commented. As a kid, she wasn’t quite sure what she wanted to be. 

Around middle school, Ms. Mann was inspired to be just like her current teachers. 

“I wanted to do something with education,” she figured out.  

Ms. Mann initially wanted to be an English teacher but switched over to social studies in high school. 

She served as a student page at the MD General Assembly where she became interested in government. Having history and politics as a big part of family conversation, her curiosity gave her that final push towards American Government.  

“I really liked what my teachers were doing, that kind of drove me to continue on” she commented. 

High school for Ms. Mann was like how it is at CHS. Her school had a very “tight-knit” community. 

“Being a part of that whole school community… we all kind of were in this together,” she said. 

Ms. Mann was able to be involved in academics, volleyball, softball, and theater. She really enjoyed being so involved in high school. This participation allowed her to meet new people and be a part of many different of friend groups.  

Ms. Mann had lots of opportunities, socially and academically, at Millersville University in Pennsylvania. While at college, she conducted her own research that was published. 

“I did enjoy it a lot, I enjoyed the freedom, being able to kind of branch out and expand,” she stated. 

Ms. Mann found everyone very welcoming and very nice. She is very excited to be a part of such a close community. 

“Coming to CHS was definitely a little intimidating; new people, new environment” she laughed. 

Like most teachers, Ms. Mann thinks seeing students grow academically is such an amazing experience. Getting to know the students and working with them are her favorite thing about teaching. 

“When they get on a topic, it just lights up with them, and you can just see that excitement,” she commented.   

The work doesn’t stop for Ms. Mann when she goes home. She lives on a farm next to her grandparents along with cows, pigs, chickens. 

“It’s a lot of fun and a lot of hard work… but playing with the animals is relaxing,” she said. 

She also enjoys reading, exercising, being outside, and relaxing to music. Ms. Mann and her cousins hang out often and sometimes play sports. Her favorite movies and book at the moment are Oceans 8 and Jurassic world, and The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.  

In the summer, Ms. Mann is a camp counselor at McDonough School. She enjoys working with middle school aged kids. 

Ms. Mann sees herself traveling, continuing with education and possibly becoming a college professor, and owning a Clydesdale horse in the future. 

“I would love to own a Clydesdale,” she said. 

• Welcome to Social Studies, Rachel Mann

Getting to the Bottom of Crowded Hallways

CHS Got Milk?

CHS Varsity Football Mid-Season Report

Wilde Serves as Temporary AP

Shaping Up Social Media Accounts for College

Welcome to Social Studies, Rachel Mann