Welcome New Science Teacher, Gina Palermo

Emelie Ingle, Staff

Gina Palermo is one of the newest additions to the teaching staff in the Science department. She has been through many changes in career direction, but thinks CHS is a good fit for her.  

“The community here has been extremely welcoming. I’m really enjoying my time here so far,” Ms. Palermo exclaimed. 

Ms. Palermo grew up in New Jersey, but she went to college at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. She stayed there for two years but soon decided it wasn’t the place for her.  

She transferred to Rutgers University in New Jersey. Ms. Palermo stayed here for three years and her major was exercise science and sports studies, along with sociology as her minor.  

From there, she went to California University of Pennsylvania and got her master’s degree. She moved to Pittsburg for graduate school and then, finally, Ms. Palermo moved to Maryland where she got a job as an athletic trainer. Ms. Palermo worked as a paraeducator in Howard County and, two years ago, she got her teaching degree at the University of Maryland.  

When Ms. Palermo got out of school, she started working at a physical therapy aide at a clinic in the mornings, and in the afternoons she did athletic training at the high school.  

“I knew that that wasn’t for me. But when I started working with the kids at the school, I really liked it. So I went to my principal at the time, and said, hey, I think teaching might be something that I’m interested in,” she explained. 

They talked about her going into a physical education job, but there are not a lot of job openings in the state of Maryland in this area. Her principal explained that with her degree and background, she should try to pursue teaching biology, science, or math.  

“Math is not my fun part,” she said, “I like it, but I don’t find it as fun as Science which is much more hands on.” 

Ms. Palermo and former CHS biology teacher Rusty Long have known each other for a long time because they are neighbors. 

“I didn’t even know that he was planning on leaving CHS,  and he didn’t know that I was looking for a job. It’s funny how we kind of flipped positions in a way. I left Howard County, and he went to Howard County,” Ms. Palermo explained. 

Ms. Palermo strongly believes that it’s a huge deal to come in any position and fill somebody’s shoes. She hopes to be one-tenth of the teacher he was. She’s very excited to have started her first year here at CHS and wants to continue working here as a teacher for years to come.