How to Avoid Injury in the Weight Room

Evan Pappas

As a teenager, one’s self-image is a big concern. Many teenagers, especially males, resort to training with weights to build muscle mass and change their image. There is nothing wrong with growing muscle and improving one’s self, but recently there has been word of training with weights being linked to stunting growth in teens.  

“When performed properly and responsibly, weight training is just as safe for young lifters as it is for those who are fully grown, and it doesn’t appear to have any adverse effect on the functioning of the body’s growth plates,” according to http://seannal.com/articles/training/weight-lifting-stunt-growth.php\. 

When working out, it is integral to do it safely. Before beginning a workout regimen, one must be educated in how to lift weights properly.   

“The most important thing is to learn about proper weight lifting technique to avoid hurting yourself when limiting. Start with light weights and good technique, and then add weights later,” according to JV Soccer coach Joe Zaccaginini. 

When starting to lift weights, it is best to focus on technique and form instead of piling on more weight.  

“Not gonna lie, I lift. When I first started it was pretty much to get girls, so I would lift as much as I could possibly do on the bar. I now realize how I could have gotten hurt pretty badly that way, after I did my research,” said sophomore Evan Rogers.  

Believe it or not, getting prepared for a work out can start a day in advance. Eating well and staying hydrated will ensure that you are fueled for a work out. It is also sure to increase your performance in the gym or in sports. It is also very important to listen to your body. If you feel any pain in a certain area it is advised to skip a day or avoid that area in your workout.  

It is also important not to over work any muscles.  

“Take 1 to 2 days off a week to rest. Rest days give your body a chance to recover between workouts. That can help prevent injuries,” explained https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/workout-injuries-prevention-and-treatment. 

“Make sure to start out with lighter weights, and focus on your technique and how to lift weights properly, and then you can add more weights and workouts as you grow and improve,” explained weight training teacher and phys ed department chair Terry Richter. 

When beginning any workout routine, a warm up is very important to get your entire body ready. Any light cardio, jumping rope or jogging in place for about 5 minutes will get increase your heartrate, loosen you up, and warm up your muscles. 

“Every workout should begin with a warm-up and end with a cool-down period. A warm-up helps your body get ready for exercise,” according to https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/guide/workout-injuries-prevention-and-treatment. 

After a proper warm up, dynamic stretching increases flexibility, and prevents injury from sore ligaments or muscles. Try to avoid static stretching before a work out, as it can put strain on your muscles and can actually cause injury. 

One of the most important things to do is research the specific workout you plan to do. There are countless comprehensive tutorials on the internet showing how to properly do any workout you plan to do.  

• How to Avoid Injury in the Weight Room

We R Generation Z

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

How to Slam those AP Exams!

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

How to Avoid Injury in the Weight Room