Top 7 AP Studying Tips

Vicki Zhang, Staff

AP tests are coming to CHS this week and next. What are some methods to maximize your chances of getting a 5 on the test? Here are the top 7 AP studying skills to help you out.  

1. Create a Study Schedule: Start by taking a short 10 minutes to plan the day and time you will practice AP for each month. It doesn’t have to be very organized and complicated. A simple schedule that reminds you to practice AP Calculus or any other tests on that day at a certain time will be helpful. A simple reminder on your smart phone can be useful too. But, make sure you do the practice instead of ignoring the notification and continuing to look at your phone. “Start at least 1 month before and have a realistic timed schedule,” senior Nandini Vaishnav explained. 
  1. Focus and Study: Stop getting distracted from games and social media. It’s time to shift your focus to studying for AP tests to get at least a 3, 4. or 5. It is important to have the motivation to practice in order to improve. A good place to study with peace is the library. You can plan a day to hang out in the library for most of the day to look over notes, find AP books, and practice AP questions.  
  1. ChoicesChoices, ChoicesSometimes, you will enter in hard situations where you would have to decide which one to choose. But, when AP season is near, it is more reasonable to put studying in 1st place. Do not feel bad ditching your friends when they hangout to study. There will be plenty of time to hangout during the summer break!  
  1. Buy Resources for AP: It is very helpful to have AP study books to give you the most realistic testing environment. AP books such as Barron’s is a very reliable source. They provide diagnostic tests that are like the actual test. They also provide information such as the time limit for each section and AP type questions for students to practice. Get your AP study books early in the year for the best preparation. 
  1. Time-Management: A major problem in the AP test is the timing. Most students struggle to answer all questions within the time limit, and this can affect your AP score. Start getting used to a goal of 1 minute per question to feel more comfortable with the time-management during the test.  
  1. Get Enough Sleep Before the AP Test: Getting enough sleep plays a major role in the focus and well-being during the test. Avoid any caffeine on the day before, so you can make sure to have a good night’s sleep. According to the HuffPost, getting 7-8 hours of sleep each day can boost your thinking ability and improve athletic performance. “Sleep a lot to have a mindset of being successful instead of being nervous,” junior Ngun Par described. 
  1. Eat a Nice Breakfast Before Taking the Test: Believe it or not, breakfast also plays a major role for the test. Eating a big, hearty, and healthy breakfast can provide sufficient energy for test-taking. Eating breakfast will allow you to feel energized, and able to survive through the test. According to Chicago Tribune, being malnourished and hungry before a test can create ill effects.  

Be sure to try some of these tips and good luck to everyone who are taking the AP test! 

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

We R Generation Z

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

• Top 7 AP Studying Tips

Top 7 AP Studying Tips