Stressed for Success

Anna Giolitti, Staff

Stress is inevitable, especially for a high school student. Students have a lot of pressure in school, their life outside of school accumulated with their school work leads to a student’s stress for success.  

According to the American Psychological Association, teens reported their stress level was 5.8 on 10-point scale, compared with 5.1 for adults. 

“It is alarming that the teen stress experience is so similar to that of adults,” said Norman B. Anderson, the APA’s chief executive and senior vice president.  

There are various factors that play a role when it comes to why so many high school students are stressed. Tough academics, responsibility, uncertainty about the future, and concerns about college are substantial stress factors for any high schooler of any grade.  

“We see a significant number of students who are concerned about their future,” guidance chair Brittany Watkins explained. “The biggest stressor seems to be waiting on college acceptance letters.”  

Seniors are leaving high school and having to plan for their future, and the worries that come with being a senior are endless. 

“Knowing that I’m leaving high school and have to start my future is probably the most stressful part of it all,” senior Guillermo Ibarra explained. “Although I’m really stressed, I’m also excited.”  

Not only are seniors stressed about their future, numerous freshman, sophomores, and juniors are stressed about life after high school, too. 

“I’m stressed because I know high school is really important and has a lot to do with your future, so I always work really hard,” sophomore Darek Andarge remarked. 

One of the biggest reasons that students are so stressed is because they want to have a successful career in the future. Most students understand that for this to happen, they must work hard throughout high school.  

“I do homework every day, sometimes this can take me up to 2 hours,” sophomore Cathy Wang said.f “If I’m studying for a test, I study throughout the entire day.”  

On top of getting good grades in school, students also must balance their life outside of school. Many students have a job, play sports, or participate in other important activities that occupy them. 

“Students are stressed about their future because they are struggling with balancing their social life, home life, and school work,” Ms. Watkins explained.  

Stress is a normal thing that we all experience, school can especially be stressful because it all has to do with your future. As students you must remember to take time to yourself while still focusing on school. 

“The best advice I can give to students who are stressed for their success is to work on things they can control. Their grades, SAT scores, extracurricular activities, the rest is out of their hands,” Ms. Watkins concluded. 

Students must remember that school is indeed a big part of succeeding in the future while also remembering to take time for themselves and focusing on other aspects of their life. 

• Stressed for Success

• Stressed for Success

We R Generation Z

• Stressed for Success

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Stressed for Success

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Stressed for Success

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Stressed for Success

• Stressed for Success

• Stressed for Success

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Stressed for Success

Juuling: A Complete Overview

• Stressed for Success

Snow Days Pile Up

Stressed for Success