Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Mona Kessy, Staff

As the countdown to summer begins, many teens are looking for summer jobs. Among all the other summer jobs, being a lifeguard is one of the most popular teen jobs. From a distance being a lifeguard seems easy, but there is certainly more to it.

There are endless responsibilities that come with being a lifeguard, things such as cleaning the pools and bathrooms, spotting things that can become a danger, and even applying a bandage on a child’s wound. There is always something to do when you’re a lifeguard, even if it means just sitting in a chair for 20 minutes.

“We usually clean the pool, clean the ground, take out the trash and just do some grounds work mostly,” sophomore Makeala Hill explained.

Junior Emily Ames also has similar duties she must do as a lifeguard.

“If somebody gets injured or scrapes their knee, we have to help them clean it up and give them a band aid,” Ames added.

Before becoming a lifeguard, employees must go through the required training. Most of the training includes learning C.P.R, being prepared for conflicts or problems, and the most important, surveillance. To learn all this information at once can be overwhelming if you’ve never been a lifeguard before.

“The class itself makes sound it a lot more intense and scary than the job itself actually is. I was expecting it to be pretty vigorous, but the job is not too bad,” junior Lydia Newman said.

Ames also agreed on the difficulty of the training classes.

“I expected it to be a lot harder than it was because the class prepares you for pretty much anything that can happen,” Ames stated.

Though the job isn’t as distressing as the training classes, there are still some aspects that have lifeguards a little anxious at work. Every lifeguard is trained to face any situation that is dangerous to a patron, if a person fails to correctly demonstrate this skill leads to the lack of the certification needed to become a

lifeguard. Though all lifeguards can save a life there is still the anxiety of knowing that anyone can unexpectedly be in danger and It is your job to save them.

“Having to remember all the scenarios in your head and all the ways to enter the pool and how to save some one and the proper protocol is tough and super stressful,” Hill continued.

There are many responsibilities lifeguards have, but the job comes with just as many benefits.

“I really like the people that I work with, and it’s just overall a fun job like I enjoy doing it and I would look forward to going to work,” Ames explained.

Newman also agreed, especially likes the part where she gets to work with kids.

“I really like it like you get to work with kids, and I like to work with kids a lot, and you just look forward to it. It’s not something I dread doing,” Newman exclaimed.

Regardless of the countless duties that come with being a lifeguard, the job remains one of the most popular and adored jobs in the summer.

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Juuling: A Complete Overview

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Snow Days Pile Up

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

The Death of the NCAA

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Warning: AP Season Approaching!

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Elza Wins Champions of Courage Contest

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Is Peer Pressure Really a Thing?

• Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes

Just Decide to be Happy

Lifeguarding: Behind the Scenes