Good Sleep Necessary for School Success

Good Sleep Necessary for School Success

Melissa Tolton and Mona Kessy

There many factors that contribute to everyone’s sleep schedule. Things as simple as the temperature or a daily diet can drastically affect sleep patterns. No matter how any one person sleeps, everyone has a thing in common, the need for sleep.

Sophomore Emily Michael is so busy throughout the day; for her falling asleep at night is easy.

“I have practice every single day for various sports, and usually I get home pretty late every night. I’m really tired and will usually just shower and go to bed. It only takes me a short amount of time to fall asleep at night,” Michael stated.

The University of Michigan made several suggestions about how students can get a better night’s sleep. They suggest physical activity during the day, limitations on caffeine, and avoidance of technology close to bedtime.

While others are exhausting their energy through physical activities during the day, less active teens conserve more of their energy.

“If I was at dance rehearsal, it would make me more tired and help me fall asleep faster,” sophomore Emily Pulling explained.

Components such as a daily diet can deeply impact an individual’s sleep and other growth factors.

“Whenever I drink Sprite or other sodas, they make me very hyper which makes it so much harder for me to fall asleep,” sophomore Ellie Jackson explained.

World history teacher Brendan Kennedy also agreed.

“Diet is extremely influential on your health and how you feel and your development, so if you’re eating junk food it’s probably going to affect you,” Mr. Kennedy clarified.

Another factor that affects how well students sleep are the tasks the they plan to complete the next day.

“I usually think about the things I have to do the next day, like the homework I have to do in the morning, what I’m going to eat for food, how I’m going to get to practice, and stuff like that,” Michael explained.

Sophomore Emily Pulling also agreed that the tasks she needs to complete the next day keep her up at night.

“When I’m falling asleep, I’m always thinking about everything I have to do the next day,” Pulling said.

The room temperature in which a person sleeps in can also affects how they sleep.

“I have to sleep with my heater directly blowing on my face because my room is so cold, if I don’t have my heater I can’t sleep,” Jackson explained.

While some people may prefer a heated room, others tend to like the opposite.

“If it is really hot, then I can’t go to sleep. I like sleeping in really cold temperatures,” Michael shared.

It’s easy to spot a person who has lacked a large amount of sleep, especially in class. With the amount of schoolwork and activities teens do throughout the week a lot of teachers can expect and predict if a student is lacking sleep.

“The look on their face, the way their acting, there is just a general tired look people can have,” Mr. Kennedy explained.

According to the University of Michigan, sleep deprivation has been linked to lower student GPA because lack of sleep leads to the inability to concentrate, memorize, and effectively learn.

Sleep is crucial for every person to survive, so high school student must ensure they get enough of it.

Melissa Tolton, Staff

My name is Melissa Tolton and I am a sophomore at CHS. I play varsity field hockey for the comets. This is my first year writing for the school newspaper.

Mona Kessy, Staff

Hi, I'm Mona (Mona Lisa) and I'm a junior.  I like writing for the school newspaper, but I like food more.

• Good Sleep Necessary for School Success

Good Sleep Necessary for School Success