Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Alexis Kahler, Staff

There are many teachers at CHS who were students at CHS. From math to art to special education, CHS alumni are all throughout the school.

Among them are art teacher Jessica Voss, special ed teacher William Nelson, social studies teacher Courtney Miller, math teacher Rebecca Mello, English chair Melanie Coates, science teacher Bart Stephen, and Art chair Ned Brannon.

Ms. Voss shared that her favorite classes when she was a student were by far art and science.

“I took art electives every year, and I loved almost every science class I took! I especially loved Chemistry and Earth Science with Ms. Sheetz,” Ms. Voss explained.

Ms. Mello found her career based on her love for math, which started in high school.

“I just always kind of liked it, just always been kind of a math nerd who enjoyed it and I like to help other people at least try and enjoy it or if not understand it,” she explained.

Mr. Nelson revealed that even though he works in the special ed department, his favorite subjects as a student were Social Studies and History.

Like Mr. Nelson, Ms. Miller said that her favorite subjects when she was a student were history and social studies. She also shared how she found interest in photography.

Ms. Coates has always loved English classes.

“It’s probably not a surprise that English was one of my favorite subjects here as a student,” she said.

Although the alumni have different taste in classes, they all seems to have the same taste in schools.

Ms. Mello explained how her decision to teach at CHS was an easy one.

“I always felt at home in Catonsville. I still live in Catonsville, and I love the high school and what it’s about,” Ms. Mello said.

Ms. Coates agrees.

“I just love the fact that there’s such a sense of history in this building. We’ve always been a school that’s pulled together and been a community with all the diversity that we have, and we always seemed to have had. So I really think that makes it a really special school,” Ms. Coates shared.

What sold Ms. Voss on the job was the staff, students, and community.

“The staff and students are a lot of fun to work with. I also think Catonsville has a wonderful community, and I’m proud to be a part of it.” Ms. Voss explained.

Mr. Nelson revealed that there’s no place better in BCPS than CHS. He also said that there’s a great sense pride in teaching at your alma mater.

Ms. Miller shared that she likes living close to the school and that she feels a connection between her and the school because of the teachers and experiences.

It’s clear to see that what drives these teachers to work at CHS is their great experiences from when they were students, their memories and the warm community.

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Juuling: A Complete Overview

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Snow Days Pile Up

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

The Death of the NCAA

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Warning: AP Season Approaching!

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Elza Wins Champions of Courage Contest

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Is Peer Pressure Really a Thing?

• Once a Comet, Always a Comet

Just Decide to be Happy

Once a Comet, Always a Comet