Pets Impact Your Life

Daisy Arroyo, Staff

Getting a pet is an exciting experience: they’re cute, loveable, and enjoyable for everyone. Whether you are or aren’t an animal person, having pets is a learning experience. It can teach you a lot about responsibility and how to keep more than just a house plant alive. 

Pets are not toys, they’re additions to your family. And although they’re a fun luxury to have, pets need lots of care that the owner must be willing to give.   

“They’re a lot more time consuming than what people think, and they cost a lot more than what people think,” senior Michael Gell stated.   

Pets teach you that with great power comes great responsibility. You must learn what to do to keep your pet happy and healthy, that could be hard for anyone especially children or teenagers. 

“Although they’re a lot of work, they’ve taught me important lessons like budgeting, and to make things more of a priority,” Gell explained.   

These responsibilities are very important with pets and taking care of a pet successfully is very fulfilling. It’s a lot like raising a child. 

“Seeing them super happy is very rewarding,” Gell stated. 

The fact that you’re making a dog, cat, or any animal happy by giving it love and care makes giving them all your time and energy worthwhile. 

“Being a pet owner is so beneficial because when they’re learning what they need to and everything is working out, you’re just so proud of them and the progress they’ve made,” junior Mikaela Menard stated. 

Having a dog or a cat can make their owner feel happier and less stress, even though they can be difficult to maintain. 

“I love being a pet owner, getting to show them off to other people and just to have as a security blanket of my own. It’s amazing,” junior Ariana Stormont said. 

The hard work really pays off when it comes to having a pet. Even if it’s not the most fun thing to do. 

“Statistically they positively influence my life by reducing stress but walking them sucks,” junior Nick Manley stated. 

Not only does it relieve stress and teach responsibility, but it can also bring people together having a pet in the house. 

“”I have mice for my sons and seeing them so happy is so nice. We all love animals, so we really bond over it,” teacher at CHS Ms. Spriridigliozzi stated. 

Even if you do love animals, someone might not be prepared for the time and effort that needs to be put in when caring for them. 

“I love them, and I wouldn’t get rid of them but part of me wishes I never got them,” Manley explained.  

Not only do some people learn that having a pet is not cut out for them, but others learn that they’re not ready for the responsibility. 

“I begged my mom for a dog, but she’d always give me a hard time because she said she’d end up taking care of it. Which is what happened,” senior Hope Cursey stated. 

And some people admit that they wouldn’t get a pet again after having one already.  

“I think having a pet is just a lot of work and compromise, and sometimes it’s just easier to not have one. I have a shared pet with my friends and after all the fighting and disagreement I wouldn’t get another one,”,senior Owen McCarter explained. 

Regardless of whether you not you love or hate animals, having a pet can teach you a lot about different responsibilities and even yourself. Pets are a wonderful experience that everyone should have because there are some very positive impacts they can have even if there are bad ones that come with it. 

• Pets Impact Your Life

• Pets Impact Your Life

• Pets Impact Your Life

Girls Basketball Goes For Repeat

• Pets Impact Your Life

Juuling: A Complete Overview

• Pets Impact Your Life

Snow Days Pile Up

• Pets Impact Your Life

The Death of the NCAA

• Pets Impact Your Life

Warning: AP Season Approaching!

• Pets Impact Your Life

Elza Wins Champions of Courage Contest

• Pets Impact Your Life

Is Peer Pressure Really a Thing?

• Pets Impact Your Life

Just Decide to be Happy

Pets Impact Your Life