Where Have All the Books Gone?

Where Have All the Books Gone?

Dexter Weinkam, Staff

Books are a way to learn about the past, dive into the future, or imagine a whole new world. Reading used to be a fun way for kids to explore their worlds, but as they get into their teens they lose interest in books. This is due to many reasons including phones, video games, and just the will and motivation to read. Overall, it is a big problem for our future as reading is one of the most important tools a student needs to be successful. It is an inescapable skill. 

Being a good reader doesn’t come naturally. Students must practice it like anything else, and when you start reading a lot it, becomes easy. Extensive reading has been linked to improvement in general knowledge, vocabulary, spelling, verbal fluency, and reading comprehension .. The research shows reading is just that important to your success in the future.  

CHS English teachers, as expected, will testify as to the power of reading.  

”When I was in high school, reading books really helped me grow as an English student and really helped me with my essays as got to college,” English teacher Greg Hill shared. 

Reading also helps the way you write. For example, you start to think in your head where to put commas just because you have read often and know what correct comma placement “looks like”.  

“When I used to read short 50-page books, it got me started on the right track, and I have just continued to grow as a reader and writer, it really is parallel,” sophomore Michael Wood claimed.  

Reading exposes us to other styles, other voices, other forms and genres of writing. Importantly, it exposes us to writing that’s better than our own and helps us to improve. 

Teenagers never want to go to the library and may say that they are always “too busy,” but what are they are doing is playing video games or sleeping in or napping. 

“I cannot stop playing [games]. I would always want to play Fortnite ahead of reading a book,” sophomore Harrison Nguyen confessed.  Kids are just not interested, and it is getting scary to most adults and teachers since it has an impact in the classroom 

English intern Corbin Jones has had a huge problem with students not turning in their book questions, evidence he uses of student reading and comprehension. 

”The book reports are usually formative, but now I am forced to make them summative so the kids will have actual motivation to do it,” Mr. Jones explained.  

If research, teacher advice, and threats of poor grades don’t change their minds, as the students of today continue not to read, there will be a major problem in the future of our nation. 

Dexter Weinkam, Staff

I play JV lacrosse and soccer for CHS. I like to watch football and basketball with my family on the weekends. I have 8 siblings, and I am the second youngest...

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

• Where Have All the Books Gone?

Where Have All the Books Gone?