Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

Mona Kessy, Staff

Snapchat has been one of the most popular apps in social media since September 2011. The app allows people to share pictures and videos of their lives with other people. The “snaps” last for 24 hours and can be saved in your “memories” if you choose to keep them.

Early this February, the frequently used app was updated. The update completely changed the look of the app. Originally, it consisted of four pages. The complete left page consisted of chats and messages you’ve had with other snappers. This page also includes all your “streaks,” a number that you and a person share based on how many days you’ve snapped each other. The next page was the camera, which can be adjusted by holding down the screen. This page also has all the photos you have saved on to your memories. The third page had everybody’s posts from the last 24 hours, and last page was the discover page, where all the recent news and articles were posted.

Now, with the new update, many Snappers have come to hate the app. The new update combines all your messages and other people’s posts all in one page. Instead of having two separate pages for your chats and other people’s stories, you have it all in one page. Though this may seem like a good thing, it complicates things even more.

“It’s harder to send streaks and find other people’s snaps,” sophomore Jordan Virkus explained.

Another problem with the update are the views. Most snap users have complained about the amount of views they have lost since the update. It used to be that people with about 300 people on their snap would have an average of 120 views. However, the new snap chat has caused snappers standard amount of view to go down.

“I used to get over 230 views, but now it has dropped to the hundreds,” sophomore Hannah Stone stated.

In time people tend to adapt to changes, though this may be a huge change to adjust to some people that they have already accustomed this new update.

“I have already gotten used to it; I adjust to things easily,” Virkus continued.

While some snap chat users expect to adapt to the new changes, others have decided to stop using the app as regularly as they used to.

“I did stop using the app a little; I haven’t been on it as much as I used to,” sophomore Karla Corvarrubias explained.

The reason behind Snapchats new update is the anticipation of the company making more money. Despite all the complaints from the users, the company is not planning on bring back the old version of Snapchat. Their hoping that the users adapt to the new changes.

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

We R Generation Z

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

• Snapchat Update Causes Controversy

Snapchat Update Causes Controversy