Advice for High Schoolers

Katrina Bucher, Staff

High school and college are completely and utterly different in terms of administration, curriculum, and social activities. So how are high schoolers supposed to make an easier transition from high school to this new world of college? Take some advice from the people who know the transition best- high school graduates!  

2017 CHS graduate and Towson University student Alex Dymicki stresses the importance of developing independence. 

“It’s a lot of depending on yourself. You have to create a schedule that works for you, and all of your major grades are individual,” stated Dymicki. 

Knowing this, junior Anish Gandhi worries about the responsibility of college. 

“I don’t think I’m being properly prepared if college is really that independent. A lot of my AP classes do group projects, and it’s usually unbalanced,” Gandhi explained. 

A common struggle among most high schoolers is procrastination, but how serious of a problem is this? Junior Nicole Gunderson expressed her concerns with developing an unbreakable habit. 

“One of my biggest problems is definitely procrastination. Especially with our new grading system where lateness doesn’t affect your grade, I’ve gotten really behind in some classes, and that really makes me nervous for college,” Gunderson said. 

Class of 2017 class president Gwen Jensen confirms this suspicion and advises breaking that habit early. 

“College has a set schedule, even if class is cancelled. You have to keep up, and trust me, it’s so easy to say you’ll do it later and fall completely behind. Stop the habit early,” Jensen advised. 

CHS offers a lot of AP class options to prepare students for this kind of learning environment. AP classes are a lot of note taking and usually follow a class outline that doesn’t change.  

Class of 2017 graduate Luis Alvarado expresses how much AP classes actually help, and in more ways than one. 

“People really should take the opportunity and take more AP classes. It’s a great way to get your feet wet for college classes, and you can get college credit and it honestly really helps you out,” explained Alvarado. 

Junior Robbie Gorey plans to utilize Alvarado’s advice. 

“I used to steer away for AP classes because of money, but now I think I’m gonna register for more AP classes next year. I didn’t realize they were actually that similar to college classes,” Gorey commented. 

There’s also the complete shift socially. Students are going to go from a small, cliquey high school to a big, unknown college campus. It can take some time to adjust. 

Jensen lastly describes the importance of making friends, but also prioritizing school work. 

“College is more than school, of course, and it’s definitely important to go to orientation events and meet people. But don’t get carried away, because in the end you are paying to learn and should spend time studying,” stated Jensen. 

So soon-to-be graduates, and even underclassmen, college is a major change, and it’s going to be tough at first. But there are things you can do to start getting yourself ready to go and be unstoppable.  

• Advice for High Schoolers

• Advice for High Schoolers

• Advice for High Schoolers

• Advice for High Schoolers

• Advice for High Schoolers

We R Generation Z

• Advice for High Schoolers

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Advice for High Schoolers

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Advice for High Schoolers

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Advice for High Schoolers

• Advice for High Schoolers

Advice for High Schoolers