The Power of the Nap

Don'ya Truesdale, Staff

As adolescents, student don’t nap as much because they are older and don’t really need it to keep going. But, believe it or not, it is necessary because teens don’t get enough sleep at night to even function as well during the day.  

Napping is more necessary for small children up until almost the age of three because it lessens stress, and stress could result in students not sleeping as night. When children stop napping around age three, it is recommended that there is still some quiet time installed to rest their brains; a puzzle, coloring, etc.  

Sleep is crucial for the proper energy needed to keep focused and be wide awake the whole day.  Student athletes especially need the sleep to learn throughout the day and then go to practices and games with energy to get a win.   

“I think naps are necessary as a student athlete because with a tight sleep schedule–mixed with sports and school–I need to re-energize to stay focused and keep going. But, that impossible now days,” sophomore Brian Dickey explained.   

Some CHS students feel that naps are needed for themselves and their fellow students. Studies show that naps are necessary for alertness and refocusing. Just an hour nap could increase alertness for about 10 hours.  

“I only get 6 ½ hours of sleep at night myself, so I feel that the early mornings that teens have to get up for school tires them out enough to have to take a short nap that will re-energize them for homework or practice for a sport. It’s good to find that down time,” Spanish teacher Cristina Berstein agrees.  

Naps are necessary for students to stay focused because only about 15% of students will get their full 8 ½ hours of sleep needed to be welled rested. Not having enough sleep can lessen a student’s memory about 40% more than if her or she was well-rested, so a nap could freshen the brain.  

“Often times during the week I’m tired after school, and when it comes to doing my homework, sometimes it’s hard to focus because I’m so tired,” exclaimed sophomore Mariam Abraham.  

Studies show that napping three times a week for at least 30 minutes causes a 37% decrease in health issues and lowers the normal death rate of people throughout the world.  

Naps aren’t always convenient to daily, chaotic lives, and teachers especially have a lot going on in and out of school.  

“Usually it’s impossible to fit in a nap after school because I have my own kids to worry about,” English teacher, Gregory Hill, mentioned.  

Sometimes when there is no time to sleep long during the night or time to fit in a nap during the week, another option that people take is sleeping late on the weekends. But, would naps during the week lessen the need to sleep in on the weekends?   

“I usually sleep late on the weekend if I don’t have anything to do so that I can catch up on missed hours the past week. But I feel that a nap would definitely help to clear up some of that tiredness, so that I could move onto the next thing and not make me sleep as late on the weekends,” Junior, Rediet Girma, explained. 

• The Power of the Nap

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

• The Power of the Nap

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

• The Power of the Nap

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• The Power of the Nap

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• The Power of the Nap

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• The Power of the Nap

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• The Power of the Nap

The Journey with Braces

• The Power of the Nap

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• The Power of the Nap

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• The Power of the Nap

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

The Power of the Nap