How Well Does School Prepare Students?

Vicki Zhang, Staff

Are students prepared for the real world after school? Everyone has an adult future ahead of them an hope to one day have a career Throughout our lives, school has been a norm because it is told to help prepare us for the future, but is that true?  

Many students feel that school gives them skills for their future careers.  

“I want to do something in the field of architecture, and I think school does prepare me for the future because we learn academic skills,” junior Vy Nyugen explains. 

Junior Ravdeep Panesar also have a confident idea about his future. He believes that school plays a major role to prepare students.  

“I want to become a businessman, and school prepares me for this profession because it increases my social skills,” Panesar said.  

There are aspects of the school system that students question, however.  

“The summative, formative, and LS grading system does not prepare people for when they fail in the real world, nor does it support a good work ethic,” junior Madeline Stanger described. 

School cannot prepare everyone completely for the real world; therefore, students must work hard out of school as well. Many students are already preparing for their future career by researching colleges and activities relating to their field.  

“I hope I’m prepared for the future. I want to study criminology and I’ve tried to prepare myself to study in that field by reading book articles and watching documentaries,” senior Clare Smith explained.   

Some students are still considering their future, wondering if their choice is matching or not.  

“I’m half prepared, half not. I might want to be a psychological profiler. I’m still not exactly sure because there’s a lot of research I have to do,” Stanger said.  

Several years ago, schools started using Naviance to guide students to their future. According to Naviance, this software allows high school students to understand their unique strengths, connect their interests to careers, set goals, and develop self-knowledge/personal motivation. It is the perfect software to use if students don’t feel prepared.   

The future of students is a very important and big decision. It requires decent research and a certain level of preparedness. According to Mindtools, some skills students should have to be prepared are to think global, develop your competencies, create a success journal, develop resilience, and keep a clear career path open.  

The school also offers many classes and programs to specifically prepare students for the near future. 

“We offer career research and development classes, a work study program, and internship opportunities. This can be very helpful in preparing students,” guidance counselor Brittany Watkins explained. 

• How Well Does School Prepare Students?

How to Keep Your New Year’s Resolutions

Ugly Sweaters of 2017

Expectations for the Last Jedi

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

The Journey with Braces

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

How Well Does School Prepare Students?