Planning for a Snow Day

Gabby Douglas, Staff

Although winter doesn’t officially start until December 21, cold weather and snowy days can be expected long before then. Students favorite part about the cold weather is the possibility of a snow day.  

Impatiently awaiting the snowy weather, students repeatedly check the school website longing for updates that school is cancelled. Nothing can fill a student with as much excitement after seeing their schools name pop up on the screen saying “All Baltimore County Public Schools closed due to inclement weather.”  

Snow days are filled with cozy blankets, hot cocoa, and endless movies. And if one is brave enough to face the cold there are numerous snow fights, snow men, and snow forts. 

Although too many snow days can lead to a shorter summer, students sometimes just need the day off.  

“I love snow days because you get an unexpected day off and you get to just relax,” junior Justice Jackson said. 

Students do various different things to keep themselves occupied on their days off; some even have rituals they do every single snow day. 

“On snow days whenever me and my mom wake up, we watch the movie Snow Day and just lay around watching movies all day,” junior Sarah Ebrahimi stated.  

As much as the students adore these days, teachers love them just as much.  

“My favorite part about snow days is getting to spend time with my family and kids,” Social Studies teacher Matt Power stated. 

Most people love having snow days, but school delays are a different story. Snow delays have their benefits and negatives. Many parents find delays challenging with arranging rides and the slippery streets. Their schedules get completely messed up.  

“Delays are more work for parents. Either give them the day off or make them come in at the normal start time,” junior parent Mary Anne Long stated.  

Many winter forecasts are not in agreement, many except an unusually cold and snowy winter, while others predict a warmer winter. 

The Farmer’s Almanac said in its prediction for winter 2017-18 that the news won’t be good for Maryland, unless you love the snow. The Farmer’s Almanac says that based on its formula many areas will see above the normal amount of precipitation. A cold and snowy winter has been predicted.  

Weather outlets, however, have been pointing out that this year is a La Nina year, and snowfall is usually less than average when this phenomenon ccurs. 

Whether you love snow days or not they are coming soon, make sure you are prepared and stock your house with all your snow day necessities!  

• Planning for a Snow Day

Expectations for the Last Jedi

• Planning for a Snow Day

Crazy Candy Cane Flavors Take Over Christmas

• Planning for a Snow Day

Preview & Predictions for Star Wars Episode 8: The Last Jedi

• Planning for a Snow Day

Alum Visit for 3rd Annual Career Day

• Planning for a Snow Day

The Journey with Braces

• Planning for a Snow Day

Best Places to Eat on Frederick Road

• Planning for a Snow Day

How to Do Tgiving Vegan-Style

• Planning for a Snow Day

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Planning for a Snow Day

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Planning for a Snow Day

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

Planning for a Snow Day