Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Denaijy Dorsey, Staff

In order for a play to be spectacular on stage, behind the scenes of the show has to be flawless for everything to “play out” smoothly. 

CHS’s theater department is helping student actors put on the roles of Anne Frank characters, and in the middle of that is director Lauren Gill. Mrs. Gill is a theater teacher for standard through advanced theater at CHS and is also an English teacher. She’s the heart of the whole production. 

Every crew member has a crucial part to the production so if someone doesn’t dedicate some of their time to the play and just doesn’t do what they need to do, then the whole production would be thrown off. 

A lot of the crew tasks are done or prepared in theatre class. Theatre 2, 3, and 4 are combined into one class and that class is Mrs. Gill’s period 3A class. Every single person in the class has to participate in both the fall and spring productions as a crew member. 

The starring role of Anne Frank is played by Junior Lydia Newman. Newman has the pressure of the whole cast on her back as well as the spotlight to slay the stage. 

“I get into character by making notecards and have friends and family run through my lines with me. Sometimes it’s hard but I have to push for being there at rehearsals because the biggest commitment has to be the show,” Newman stated. 

Family and friends are the best when it comes to helping out with stressful things. When it comes to being a part of theatre there is going to be a lot of choosing and lots of responsibility to take on. Especially with the small amount of time that Anne Frank had to be placed together.  

“It’s hard to make some rehearsals. There are hard decisions when it comes to missing rehearsal or not because it is really unacceptable because you chose to be a part of the production,” senior Kayla Cameron stated. 

Behind the scenes, Newman takes on the role of the head of publicity crew to get the message out about the show, and Cameron takes on the head of the programs crew. 

“In the publicity crew, I get the message out on social media accounts like Facebook and Instagram to publicize these events. We do the poster designs and t-shirts, but this year we’re not doing t-shirts,” Newman explained. 

Being a part of theatre is more than just acting on a stage; there is plenty of time and effort put into the production. 

“I am on the programs crew, so that means that I am in charge of getting the actors’ and actresses’ biographies to go into the program. I have to make the cast lists and include the information that the audience needs to know about the production,” Cameron stated.

Being a part of a production takes a lot of time out of someone’s life with all of the rehearsals, the crew tasks, and memorizing the lines of a WHOLE PLAY! Some crews are harder than others and some people take it more seriously than most, but the one thing that they have in common is that they all are dedicated in one way or the other. They take time out of their personal lives and put it into the production. 

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Tgiving Dinner: Home vs. Going Out

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Spirit Week 2017 Recap

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Comets Fall to Kenwood in Homecoming Match-Up

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Mixed Farmhouse Greens Review

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Top 10 Costume Ideas for Hijabis

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Spirit Week Traditions, Rules an Annual Concern

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

High Schoolers and Their Lack of Sleep

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

Behind the Scenes of ‘Anne Frank’