Cells Affect Teens in School

Li Chen, Staff

Cell phones are allowed to be brought to school but can’t be used in class unless directed by teachers. Even though there are many different phone policies in different classrooms, one similarity is that cell phones must remain in a student’s pocket, locker, or other teacher-designated location.  

Research shows that checking your cell phone is a daily routine of teenagers. Networkworld.com, for example, says that the average cell phone user uses their cell phone for a total of 145 minutes a day.  

Freshman Ricky Sears uses his phone 15 minutes per class during the school day. He feels, however, that cell phones shouldn’t be brought to school.  

“It is a distraction to you in class, and more than often students use it for social media and games so it will be better off not to be brought to school,” he explained.  

The devices do have their uses, however, Cell phones can be used to set reminders for upcoming events like practices for sports or even a project for a class that is due in a couple weeks. Instead of texting in class, students can use phones to take a picture of the homework for later.  Students can check grades for missing work or low score tests to redo.  

On the other hand, cell phones can negatively impact students. For example, they can distract students in class because they aren’t on task but instead are one their cell phones texting or playing games. Another disadvantage of cell phones in school is that the student would not be able to focus in class because their cell phones would ring due to notification from social media or texts from others. 

Lots of students have cell phones, but not many of them actually use them for the purpose teacher expects, like doing research for project or even playing a Kahoot game for review before taking a test. 

“I have a cell phone and uses it very frequently to text my friends in school or call my parents when I need them to do something for me like drop off my lunch or when I need them to bring me something I need for class,” freshman Mark Radcliff said. “I also play on my phone or listen to music when the teacher allows me in a class. I always have my phone on me and use it without getting in trouble.”