The Importance of Breakfast

Jami Citko, staff

Since childhood, you’ve probably been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Its purpose is to wake you up, satisfy hunger from not eating all night, and fuel you throughout the morning. But how important is it really? 

According to Statistic Brain, only 44% of Americans ate breakfast every day as of 2015, even though 93% believed that it was the most important meal, and Kellogg’s states that only 36% of high school students eat breakfast every day. 

This statistic is exemplified throughout CHS, as many students do not eat breakfast at all and many of the ones who do don’t do it daily. 

“I don’t eat breakfast on weekdays,” sophomore Hayden Kesner explained. “I don’t have time for it.” 

This is a common problem among high school students. They stay up late, whether doing homework or watching TV. Then they try to get as much sleep as possible, waking up with just enough time to get dressed, use the bathroom, brush their teeth, and head out the door, not leaving enough time for breakfast. 

Junior Daniel Li, on the other hand, eats breakfast every day. 

“[I eat] eggs, some fruit, a piece of toast, and some sausage…so I don’t starve before lunch starts,” Li recounted. 

But should eating a good breakfast really be a priority? Most students agree that breakfast is important, including sophomore Solomon Robin, who eats breakfast about four times per week. 

“You need food for energy, and lunch isn’t for another few hours…your brain needs energy to fuel thinking,” Robin explained. 

Junior Richard Hughmanick has a similar view on the subject, having observed that some people who do not eat tire early in the day. 

“Sometimes if I don’t eat at a certain time of the day I lose energy…if some people don’t eat they’re already done with school early in the morning and can’t focus,” Hughmanick described. 

According to Web MD, breakfast really is the most important meal of the day, especially for children and teenagers. 

“Children who eat breakfast perform better in the classroom…with better concentration, problem-solving skills, and eye-hand coordination,” nutrition expert Kathleen Zelman explained. 

Breakfast may be important, but that doesn’t mean everyone has time for it. One solution is to adjust your personal schedule to provide time for breakfast, however this could conflict with trying to get more sleep. Even so, adding five minutes into your morning schedule for a quick bowl of cereal or a bagel with cream cheese is easy enough if you really want it. 

There are also a few breakfast options that can be eaten without taking up too much time or interfering with more important activities. Packaged foods like granola bars or yogurt are pre-prepared and won’t take time away from the rest of your morning routine. 

Eating breakfast really does have an impact on academic success and the general ability to function properly throughout the morning. This may not be a main priority to everyone, but if you seem to be struggling in one of these regards, making sure you eat a healthy breakfast in the morning will help. 

• The Importance of Breakfast

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• The Importance of Breakfast

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• The Importance of Breakfast

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

• The Importance of Breakfast

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

• The Importance of Breakfast

No Spring Break?!

• The Importance of Breakfast

CHS Musicians Represent in Europe on AMA Gold Tour

• The Importance of Breakfast

Get a Head Start through Child Development

• The Importance of Breakfast

Features

• The Importance of Breakfast

Opinions

• The Importance of Breakfast

The Importance of Breakfast