Newest Honor Societies at CHS

Science, English, and Music!

Science, English, and Music!

Katrina Bucher

Katrina Bucher

Science, English, and Music!

Katrina Bucher, Staff Writer

Honor societies at CHS attract a lot of attention from the students. Whether the reason be for college applications or for cords at graduation, students are always eager to find out how to get in. There are three relatively new honor societies that were introduced in the past two years in the music, English, and science departments. 

The new honor society Tri M made its debut last year. Led by music teachers Christopher Gnagey and Andrew Hamilton, this unique music honor society focuses on promoting music programs in the community, including elementary schools and helping with Catonsville’s own drama department. In order to be eligible to join, students must have an A average in music classes and C average in other classes, as well as participate in the society’s community projects. 

Two-year junior member Kayla Sloan highly recommends anyone interested in music to consider joining. 

“If you have a passion for any music, this is a great club to join. It’s a great opportunity to help out your local community on something you care about,” Sloan explained.  

Another new honor society, the National English Honor Society, was actually brought up by a couple of AP students a year and a half ago. Recent graduate Jesse Manion several of her friends, and a few English teachers met with the founders of the NEHS and determined the requirements applicants would have to fulfill, such as coming up with a name, paying a fee, and creating a concrete board of officers.  

Students who want to join NEHS should listen for an announcement at the end of their sophomore and junior year, and get an application from advisor Rachel Wilkinson. A student once accepted into the society needs to maintain a 3.0 GPA in English and overall, participate in chapter activities (meetings, trivia), complete service hours, and enter at least one writing contest.  

“It’s great because sometimes they win, and it goes on their college recommendations . . . there’s a lot of contests out there that students don’t participate in, so we require it, and a lot of kids just win them; they get prizes, they get money,” Wilkinson explained. 

Similar to English, CHS’s Science Honor Society had a few nuts and bolts to figure out before becoming a full-fledged society. Introduced last year, this society focuses on diving into interesting and current scientific topics and learning more about STEM. Advised by biology teacher Rusty Long, this honor society is only available to juniors and seniors. Students must have a 3.5 GPA in science, 3.2 GPA in other classes unweighted, and outside science activities to be eligible to apply. 

Senior member Walid Khan encourages anyone interested in STEM to consider joining, but he warns that applicants must be committed. 

“You have to go to 80% of the meetings and participate in chapter activities. It can be a lot, so I would recommend it for people who really enjoy STEM and are willing to make the commitment. It’s a fun society, we have really cool conversations and the student leader board is very involved,” Khan explained. 

Students should take advantage of these opportunities and apply to honor societies that interest them next year. It’s a great addition to your college applications, so what do you got to lose?   

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

We R Generation Z

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

• Newest Honor Societies at CHS

Newest Honor Societies at CHS