What is More Important: Age or Your Feelings?

Vicki Zhang, Staff

Susana and Carlos met several years ago and fell in love almost instantly. They have been happily married for a couple years and are thinking to start a family. Their only issue is that some people are very judgmental of their relationship, and even some close family and friends do not approve of it. Why? Susana and Carlos are 20 years apart. Does this make a difference?

Having a couple with an extremely huge age gap may seem weird, but as long as you love the person, age shouldn’t matter.

According to GoodTherapy.org, a middle-aged man dating a much younger woman has been considered a classic sign of midlife-crisis. Dating someone with a huge age gap could cause challenges, but if you are true to the relationship, then don’t give up!

One example of a current couple with a huge age gap is Jay-Z and Beyonce. Jay-Z is 47 and Beyonce is 35–that’s 12 whole years in between! They have been married for nine years, already have one daughter, and are expecting twins. Even though they have a huge age gap, they are still living happily with each other and remain a respected couple in pop culture. This proves that relationships with age gaps are possible.

According to the New York Times Article, “An Age Gap Bridged by a Love of Animals”, the man had a 20 year age gap with the girl he loves. The girl’s father had doubts on their relationship because of their age difference, but after seeing them for a couple years, he understood that age doesn’t get in the way of their love. This is another proof that age shouldn’t be judged in relationships.

In certain culture, there are rules on who and when to get married. “I came from a Pakistani culture and back in the days, you could be a 20 year old marrying a 50 year old. In the modern era, it isn’t like this anymore,” sophomore Noorul Raza from Catonsville High School explained.

In Raza’s culture, people with a huge age gap were allowed to have a relationship. Today, not many have relationships like this because many think it’s wrong, but it is possible to have a healthy relationship despite the age difference.

Even though there are relationship problems on being picky about the age of people, the best thing to do is to follow your heart without worrying about people’s age. Be brave and never let others’ judgement stop you from following your heart.

• What is More Important: Age or Your Feelings?