How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

Noor Raza, Staff

Summer is just around the corner, and that only means one thing, vacation! Most vacations though, take place traveling abroad in a plane and we all know how flying can be a big hassle. The seats are smaller, there’s literally no room for your legs, and everything is just cramped. But that doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t enjoy it. In fact, there are plenty of ways to improve the experience of travel, despite uncomfortable bathrooms and snoring seatmates.

Here are some important tips that all travelers – especially if you’re traveling alone – need to be aware of before taking flights this summer.

Minimize your wardrobe

Pack what you need, the essentials. Take less and you’ll travel cheaper (no check-in luggage fees), travel faster (less waiting time for your bags), and travel easier.

Travel comfy

Try to keep it loose and comfortable. Rule out on pajamas, and definitely don’t wear flipflops. Closed shoes would be preferred; it’s best to have a good set of sturdy shoes that won’t leave you feeling tired walking in a gigantic airport.

Choose what you eat carefully

It says it right in the title. Take care of your diet. Be careful of ingredients that might harm you or cause an allergic reaction. Eat up as well; long flights cause you to become hungry more than usual.

Stay moisturized and hydrated

Health experts recommend drinking water more than you normally do when you’re traveling. Continue drinking throughout flight; Dehydration is the worst part of every flight as the pressurized air coming from super high altitudes, leaves most passengers raisin-like. Beat the dryness by bringing hand lotion and Chapstick.

In seat exercises

Airlines recommend exercising 3-4 minutes every few hours. Exercises like lifting your feet off the ground or rotating them in circles, keeping your heels on the floor and pointing your toes up as far as you can, then pointing the toes down while lifting the heels up, and rolling your shoulders forwards and backwards. Simple stuff like this can really help afterwards when getting over the tiredness.

Snag up a window seat

Try reserving a window seat beforehand. If you don’t get one, ask other passengers if they’re willing to give it up. Window seats can help a traveler to sleep better since you an lean on them. The view is great so what more would you want?

Seat buddies

Smile, it really won’t hurt to make friends for the few hours you’re going to be sitting there. Make conversation, ask where they’re headed, where they’re from, etc.

Of course, don’t go stalker like on them, but it’s good to be comfortable with your seat mates.

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

New CHS Fall Play: ‘The Diary of Anne Frank’

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

Go Home Freshmen: Tradition or Torment?

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

Top Ten Halloween Costumes for 2017

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

‘American Horror Story: Cult’ Review

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

No Spring Break?!

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

CHS Musicians Represent in Europe on AMA Gold Tour

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

Get a Head Start through Child Development

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

Features

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

Opinions

• How to Make Air Travel Less Awful

How to Make Air Travel Less Awful