Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

Chase Linsenmeyer, Staff

Most students want jobs to earn money for either saving for a car or having the freedom to buy things. One of the most interesting jobs for sports-fans can be working for the Baltimore Orioles Tarp Crew.

These students come to every Orioles home game to take care of the field and the diamond. This includes putting the tarp over the field when it rains, setting up the bases, and taking care of the bullpen.

One CHS student who is part of the tarp crew is sophomore Jack Eiswert; he was recommended the job by School-to-Career teacher Tracy Rehmert.

Eiswert said “It’s a big commitment to come to every home game, and I try not to miss it but it’s fun.”  He also added that “[having a job] prepares me to be an adult and gives me more freedom to buy what I want. I make normally $500 a week and save almost all of my money. I’m saving to buy a car.”

The students were able to get this job from the work study program; Ms. Rehmert helped them with this process.

“I happen to know the grounds keeper for the Orioles,” she explained, “and once a year he comes to Catonsville to interview students to get them to work for the tarp crew.”

According to her, he sees who are best available. “They want people who are physical and can run and lift a lot; they also want people who have a lot of time and are available for about 95% of home games.”

Ms. Rehmert also explained “it’s a big commitment and takes responsibility. For example, they won’t hire anybody with a bad attendance record or someone who gets in trouble or has been suspended.”

With the job itself comes other experiences, Jack Eiswert knows all about this. He talked about different stories and funny moments.

“One time, we messed around with the players; the player Michael Gibson took my dinner. And sometimes someone will get stuck under the tarp,” he explained.

Eiswert also knows about the good times and bad times that come with the job.

“The long hours can be annoying. I’ll do 12 hour shifts–one time I got home at 2:00 AM, and I still had to go to school in the morning,” he explained.

He also talked about how he has to work, no matter what, saying “When it rains we still run out, and we’ll have to wring the water out of our shirts. When it’s 100 degrees we still have to wear khakis, we work no matter what.”

However good things come with the job

Eiswert said his favorite part was- “The experience, meeting the players and learning turf management and agrology (the application of study to agriculture)–I want to study this in college.”

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

• Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew

Student Work Orioles Tarp Crew