The Pressure for a Perfect Body

Rediet Girma and Emily Vacin

Body image has always been of issue, especially for women. Nowadays, females are pressured by society’s expectation of the “perfect body.” From the size 0 models on the magazines to the celebrities on TV, young girls especially feel like they have to look like models to be accepted or seen as beautiful.

“When I was little, I used to always dream of looking like the girls I saw in magazines when I would go the store with my mom,” sophomore Tori Myers explained.

In high school especially, many girls struggle with their body image. Most girls have unreal and unhealthy ideas of what their body should look like. Ideal body type is not realistic for many girls, making many girls have low self-esteem. High school is not the greatest place to boost your confidence either. It’s easy to compare yourself to the girls in your class or the girls you see in the halls.

“It’s difficult not to compare yourself to other girls in school when you see so many girls that are pretty with a perfect body,” senior Jade Sherill described.

The models that girls see in magazines and in fashion shows are unrealistic. Many girls feel that they have to look like them to be society’s idea of beautiful. According to Body Image Of Women most women age twenty and older are 166 pounds, while models have to be around 100-120 pounds.

“You be the perception of beauty that you want; don’t let society cloud your judgment of what you believe your body should look like,” special education teacher Dana Quainoo argued.

There are many factors that contribute to how a female views her body. In this day and age, being thin is valued for women. According to Body Image Of Women, over fifty percent of 9 and 10 year-old girls feel better about themselves if they are on a diet. Boys as young as grades nine and ten are being found to  found to use antibiotic steroids in an attempt to gain more muscle mass. It is more likely for a girl to admit that she has a problem with her body image more than a guy because it is thought to be less socially less acceptable.

“I would probably just go to the gym because steroids are not safe, but I have had problems with feeling like my body isn’t what I want it to be like,” explained sophomore Luke Sattler.

Students try to avoid being overweight because they know it’s unhealthy, but what some might not know is being underweight is just as unhealthy. According to Body Image there are many risks to being underweight such as anemia, nutritional deficiencies, osteoporosis, cardiac problems, increased susceptibility to illness and infection and poor would healing.

“It’s important to understand that the ideal body image as presented by the popular media is not healthy,” Body Image explained.

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

• The Pressure for a Perfect Body

The Pressure for a Perfect Body