How to Begin the Teen Job Search

Sophomore, Luke Sattler in his Urban Bar-B-Que Uniform

Arion Peterson, Staff

Getting a job as a teenager is no easy task. Many teenagers want their first job for a variety of reasons. Some want it for the experience, for college savings, or for things mom and dad won’t buy.

Many companies aren’t looking to hire teens, believing, at best, that they are inexperienced, or, at worst, that they are lazy and unwilling to work hard. Because teenagers lack experience compared to adults, it makes it even harder for teenagers to get hired. Teenagers are tired of job hunting, so what should they do to find their first job, while avoiding the common struggles?

Companies who are open to hiring teens often provide them with benefits: they give them experience in the specific job field their interested in, scholarships, and flexible hours.

Although the teenage unemployment rate is at 16.8%, if students follow the right steps in job hunting, the rate will decrease.

These are the steps to succeed in job hunting:

Time Management

1. The first step in job hunting if you even have time for one. Students have busy schedules, and balancing school, clubs, and sports can be overwhelming. One must make sure that before they job huntthat they actually have the time to work. Having an easy, planned-out schedule will make it less stressful to pick up a job and keep one.                                                                                                                   Managing time well is key. Freshman Tacho Tha worked as a dishwasher at Tapayaki Grill Buffet and said “Before I would go in for work, I would do all of my homework.”

Many teenagers are very tired after working, so knocking out homework prior to going will help them keep school and work balanced.

Job Hunting

1. The second step in the job hunting process is tolook for that job! Go browse the internet for the newest hirings or walk into local businesses and speak to the manager. To find out what jobs are hiring in the area, visit http://www.snagajob.com/. This website provides helpful information to all teens job hunting. It lists the distance, age requirement, and all of the specific job requirements. Since jobs hire teens, they are aware that everyone may not have experience. This is great because first jobs can teach you a lot. Just be a genuinely nice person, and you’ll betaught everything you need to know.

Sophomore Tasianna Battle was a former Wendy’s employee and her advice to people hunting for jobs is to “apply to as many places as you can.” She explains how applying to a lot of places increased her chances of finding a job. She also compared wages, hours, and benefits of all the jobs she applied to which helped make her decision of the best job for her.

Good Impressions

1. The third step in job hunting is making good first impressions. Showing up to an interview and making a good impression is crucial because you will be remembered in either a positive or negative way. This can be the most important factor in getting a job. Remember teens are in competition with not only other teens but withadults as well, so try to be one step ahead to stand out.

In a FoxBusiness article, entitled Why Teens Can’t Get a Job, John Challenger (CEO of an consulting agency) explains how being more “old-school” with the application process can be advantage due to current technology. “Many applications will be submitted online, but showing up in person, dressed appropriately, will make any teen a more memorable candidate,” he explained.

Sophomore Luke Sattler is a current employee at Urban Barbeque and says “it’s always about what you know and not who you know.” He received his job from making a good relationship between himself and his manager.

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

• How to Begin the Teen Job Search

How to Begin the Teen Job Search