Lauryl Thomas, Staff

As high school students, life can be hard to balance with all the stress of homework, having a job, or juggling time for sports and after school clubs.

A lot of people don’t know how helpful yoga can be and all its benefits.

“I don’t really think yoga is really helpfully or necessary to do,” sophomore Brandon Hernandez said.

Yoga is the spiritual practice of breathing techniques and postures that helps purify the mind body and soul; it was developed in India over 5,000 years ago.

“I think it’s important to do yoga if you’re stressed or have low self-esteem. I don’t do yoga, but I have thought about starting to do yoga because I am really stressed with school and my job,” commented sophomore Tsion Zenebe.

According to research, 90 percent of people that do yoga have done it to get in shape, have more flexibility, and relieve stress.

“I have taken yoga classes with my mom before, and I really enjoyed it, I would recommend others to do it because it is really fun and relaxing,” said freshman Sydney Keagle.

Yoga has many benefits that a lot of people don’t know about and helps a lot of things including anxiety, arthritis, asthma, back pain, blood pressure, carpal tunnel syndrome, depression, chronic fatigue, epilepsy, and heart disease.

“I think that doing yoga is important, and others should try it because it helps me to be more focused and stay in shape. I believe more people should do it because not a lot of people do it,” said sophomore Sadie Marks.

Places in Catonsville that practice yoga are the Avalon Yoga and Wellness Center, Rolling Brooke Yoga, and the YMCA.

“Yoga to me is important because it can help you be more positive and happy and I would do it to tune in to myself and have more clarity for my life,” said freshman Ellen Schumacher.

According to assistant principal Eric Eiswert, one way to start yoga at CHS is through a yoga club after school. To start a club a student would have to write a proposal, get a teacher sponsor, and then talk to assistant principal Annie Caldwell.

“I always thought when I was younger that yoga was weird and pointless, but my sister told me that it helped her a lot to lose weight and be more positive. I think that yoga is important especially for students in high school because school can stress people out and it’s a fun way to relive stress,” said sophomore Mikaila Menard.

• Why Do Yoga?

• Why Do Yoga?

• Why Do Yoga?

• Why Do Yoga?

• Why Do Yoga?

We R Generation Z

• Why Do Yoga?

Avengers ‘Infinity War’: Is It Really That Good?

• Why Do Yoga?

How to Slam those AP Exams!

• Why Do Yoga?

A Student’s Guide to Water Bottles

• Why Do Yoga?

• Why Do Yoga?