Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

Karin Jones, Staff

Are you ready for the sneezing, sore throat, coughing, and itchy eyes 24/7? Yes, spring allergy season has arrived with its high levels of pollen that make people’s days miserable. Buckle up for the severe seasonal allergy season!

According to the American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology, more than 50 million people in the U.S. experience allergies each year. Following such a mild winter, the East Coast has been experiencing record high pollen counts, causing residents mild to severe allergies before allergy season even officially started.

Tree pollen season begins in March throughout April.  Baltimore had temperatures in the 70s during the month of February while having low temperatures. According to AccuWeather Senior Meteorologist Alan Reppert, “warm air surfaced in late February,” giving plants potential to bloom their pollen before typical allergy season.”

And the suffering is real.

“I get a sinus infection and headache,” instead of actual allergy symptoms when allergy season comes around, explained junior Lauren Townes.

Pollen has been making students feel extremely miserable with itchy eyes, runny noses, sore throats, and constantly sneezing.

Junior Shakir Terrell states his allergies have been so severe that “[he] got a red eye and a nose bleed”.

Many students experience severe symptoms of their allergies, and they can’t do anything to suppress their misery while in school besides what they have already done before arriving for the day.

Freshman Canaya Deias missed days of school because she developed “a sty from constantly rubbing her eyes due to itchiness, and she was very clogged up.” She went to the doctors to get prescription allergy medicine to suppress her symptoms during the school day.

CHS nurse Emily Udseth, states that students suffering from allergies should “take decongestion medicine and make sure they have tissues, stay hydrated, and use throat lozenges,” before they come to school so that “they are able to focus throughout the day.”

“I take either Dayquil or Claritin depending on how bad it is,” junior Kierra Foxx stated. Along with Junior Aubrie Zepp states, she uses Flonase because she can’t breathe sometimes.

The most important part of dealing with severe seasonal allergies is staying hydrated.

Mrs. Udseth explains that hydration “suppresses all that mucus in your system, and replenishes your immune system”.

Students can attack their allergies symptoms before they really get out of hand. Learn some tips to take to make allergy season less miserable. Check out:

https://chscomet.org/news/2017/04/27/how-to-attack-these-horrendous-allergies/

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

• Seasonal Allergies in Full Force

Seasonal Allergies in Full Force